News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What oil to use when breaking in a cam?

Started by 375instroke, May 26, 2022, 02:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Engine break in oils are balanced to protect the flat tappet cam, along with other high pressure contact areas, but also allow the rings to seat. What if you're only changing the camshaft, and you don't need the cylinder wall and ring wear?

metallicareload99

Last time I had to break something in, I needed to do the opposite of your scenario (roller cam). I used 6 full quarts of the expensive Comp breakin oil that was promptly dumped after 30 minutes. I still feel kinda silly for doing it, but if it helps ring seal, worth it :shruggy:

I've broken in two flat tappet cams, and one lifter once and every time I used a bottle of the "best" breakin additive I could find. GM engine oil supplement, but I think it's discontinued now. I use the Lucas zinc additive now, but I don't recall breaking in any flat tappets with it.

Key thing is the lifter rotation and proper valve spring pressure. In the past I would turn the engine over with the starter, with the intake off and verify the lifters are rotating. No problems encountered as long as they rotated. Then I installed aluminum heads with dual valve springs for a hydraulic roller (too much spring pressure). And after one summer one lifter didn't rotate anymore. It just kinda "oscillated" and sure enough the lobe was going flat
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Challenger340

Lucas Classic and Hot Rod Oil with High Zinc..... and you can even add another Zinc Oil additive like DELCO EOS ? Best thing in the world for rings as well...

Do pay close attention to V/Spring pressures at peak lift....  advisable to stay well BELOW 300#.... 280'ish even better.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

375instroke

Was going with Gibbs Driven ZDDP enhanced break in oil, their camshaft assembly grease, then their Hot Rod high ZDDP synthetic oil.  Specific break in oil is just for the first 30 minutes, right, then high ZDDP oil, change at 500 miles?  This is just a cam change, so is synthetic fine after break in?  People rave about the Gibbs Driven, and Brad Penn PennGrade, so if I should switch to PennGrade, let me know.  It's just that Lunati uses Driven cam lube, so I thought I'd use their oil, too.
Lifters are Topline
Springs are single
Seat Load: 120 lbs/in @ 1.820
Open Load: 315 lbs/in @ 1.250
Coil Bind: 1.094"
Rate: 342 lbs/in
Cam is Lunati
Lift: .475''/.494''
Duration: 265 Deg / 271 Deg
LSA: 112 Deg
I've built hundreds of engines when I worked for my uncle, with no problems, but that was a long time ago.  Everyone's chewed up cam stories have me worried, so I'm practicing breaking in this small cam while I'm building the real motor.