News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The best second generation Hemi engine gasket set?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, June 14, 2022, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Who makes the best second generation (426) Hemi engine gasket set?

I'm going to need the gaskets/ seals for the valve covers, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, thermostat housing, water pump housing, and the timing cover gasket and seal, so I figure I might get as well buy a whole set.

Who makes the best sets? ( By "best" I mean seals up and fits well, not oem "correct")

Where do I get it?

metallicareload99

Fel-Pro FS8088WS1 seems to still be available. Looks like a lot of the gaskets are cork, which I don't care for, but that's a me problem though. What is the best valve cover gasket for Hemi and intake gaskets?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

INTMD8

Not sure about a kit, I like different types for different areas.

For timing cover, oil pan, intake manifold, Superformance.

I ended up using Fel-pro for the water pump as they were thinner (and what I ended up needing for pulley alignment).

You'll need to measure and see what you need for intake gasket thickness to achieve best port alignment. 

For exhaust manifolds/headers,  none.  No gaskets, just a smear of high temp rtv.  (thin smear, not a bead)

I use fel-pro cork gaskets for the valve covers as I think the conformity helps with the stamped steel covers I'm using.

Cometic head gaskets as I feel it's less likely to distort intake valve seats.  (as it will all compress to same thickness rather than being leveraged over a fire ring).

If you use those it will have to be machined to the correct roughness (or lack thereof) for sealing.

JMO :)

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks guys. :cheers:

The heads and intake will (hopefully) not be removed.

The chrome valve covers need to come off to be replaced with the black wrinkle painted steel type.

The chrome timing cover needs to be replaced with painted steel.

The bare aluminum water pump housing will come off and be painted.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to have to drop the oil pan to remove and replace the J.C. Whitney looking braided stainless steel and billet aluminum handled oil dip stick.  :eek2:

The chrome thermostat housing is getting tossed, too.

Good tip on the high temp RTV  ;)

b5blue

I'm having good performance from rubber oil pan and valve cover gaskets that have steel cores. (On my 440)