News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You want to Fix or install A/C in your? charger, look here 1st! W/pictures!

Started by AKcharger, July 01, 2022, 12:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I've learned more about A/C than I ever wanted to because there are no "old car A/C shops", you either pay a $100 an hour for some one to "learn" your car, and maybe screw it up or do it yourself.  I did my '70 to Original AND my '72 to Retro, so I can share what I've learned and maybe save you some time and aggravation  :brickwall:  

So basically, you have two ways to go 1) Your car has/had Factory A/C and you want to get it working or 2) You want a new retrofit system. Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages

So lets start with option #1
If your car is original or on the rare side I'd go with this option. The factory A/C will keep value/appearance and the factory system is Robust! If you repair it properly you'll be long dead before it goes on the fritz again. In addition there's  less modification and "hacking" compared to a new system Cost, from as little a $100 to $3500, The disadvange is YOU need to do most all the work and ANYTHING can be bad after 50 years so expect a LOT of frustration. Anyway, we'll start from the cheap end...

AKcharger

So lets start with option #1
If your car is original or on the rare side I'd go with this option. The factory A/C will keep value/appearance and the factory system is Robust! If you repair it properly you'll be long dead before it goes on the fritz again. In addition there's  less modification and "hacking" compared to a new system Cost, from as little a $100 to $3500, The disadvange is YOU need to do most all the work and ANYTHING can be bad after 50 years so expect a LOT of frustration. Anyway, we'll start from the cheap end...
If you're super lucky & your original system is still in place but not working you can try throwing parts at it piecemeal and hope for the best, that's what I did originally. You MAY get it going again and if you try here's what I'd suggest:
1) Replace Dryer/filter
2) Swap out the seals on the hoses ends to "Green Seals"  for R-134
3) Remove the EPR valve from back of the Compressor. This valve regulated pressure in the system but will not work with R-134

3) Add in a thermal and pressure to regulate compressor so it doesn't freeze up.  If you don't have leaks that SHOULD do it. Now the molecules in R-134 are smaller than R-11 hence why you have to swap out seals. Another consequence is it will slowly seep through the old hoses, but if you don't want to get them remade just accept you'll have to service the system once or twice a year.

Now I tried this and kept running into problem after problem and decided to rip EVERYTHING out, box it up and took it to Original Air down in Tampa, luckily a short drive.  You can absolutely do the box yourself and there are threads but I I thought I'd let the pros do it, $2900 for Box rebuild, all new Hoses,  Rebuild of Compressor, evaporator and water valve. Not cheap but at least I know everything is good.

AKcharger

All good so far!

AKcharger

Option #2 – Retro fit
If you have a non-AC car Have an AC car missing a majority of parts or Don't care about originality then this option makes sense. The advantage here is most any "restoration shop" can do this for you as they're MUCH rather do this than figure out an original system. Its  all new, works well and should last a long time. Disadvantages are there is "hacking" involved and few if any original A/C ducts or components will work.  The valves are electronic/computer controlled makes me a little nervous for long-term operation but after 2 years it's still working great
Cost
- Classic auto air universal system $1750
- chrome platting dash parts $275
- New dash core $100
- Bits and pieces $20
- New radiator and electric fan/shroud $400

If I was to do it all again I would get longer hoses and run them through the PAX fender for a "cleaner" look and patch up the hole in the firewall from the missing fan motor.

AKcharger

So we're at 3 years for '72 and one year for '70, both doing well

b5blue

Good stuff! I used Classic also in my 70. Having fully functioning heat/defrost/AC is a game changer!