News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 hp rotating assemble mismatch questions?????

Started by DoubleDlover, July 11, 2022, 05:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

Ok so you have the 908 6 pack rods. crank. balancer and flywheel/converter.... questions are... Is there really a difference between a stock forged crank and a hp one?? If you replace the hp rods with just standard ones can you still run the hp balancer and flywheel or will that f*** everything up??? I think thats it for now. :) thank you for any input. :)

70 sublime

The six pack rods need the heavier balancer so I would think it would screw things up if you swaped the rods for the lighter ones without swaping the balancer also
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

My understanding is connecting rods for forged crank are matched to balancer so 6pk rods require balancer with extra weight and that balancer can't be used with standard connecting rods.  :scratchchin:   

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 11, 2022, 07:28:55 AM
Get it Balanced

Or just use a neutral balanced balancer and flywheel/converter. Supposedly, the only difference in the 6-Pack crank is the strengthening process which doesn't affect balance.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 11, 2022, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on July 11, 2022, 07:28:55 AM
Get it Balanced

Or just use a neutral balanced balancer and flywheel/converter. Supposedly, the only difference in the 6-Pack crank is the strengthening process which doesn't affect balance.

The OPs question is unclear, but believe John is close to understanding it. 

Things like "hp balancer" doesn't make sense as there are two or three different balancers on hp engines.  Maybe he means neutral balanced???

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

DoubleDlover

bsb67... OK tell me about the 3 different balancers on a 70 hp 440 engine..

John_Kunkel

Quote from: DoubleDlover on July 15, 2022, 05:15:55 AM
bsb67... OK tell me about the 3 different balancers on a 70 hp 440 engine..

He said HP engines, not '70 specific.

'66-'69 neutral balanced, forged crank, asymmetric pulley bolt pattern

'70-'71 external balanced, forged crank, asymmetric pulley bolt pattern

'72-'78 neutral balanced, forged crank, symmetric bolt pattern

'73-'78 external balanced, cast crank, symmetric bolt pattern

b5blue

The HD rods used in 70-71 while not exclusive to just 6BBL were not universal to HP so 66-69 could continue to 70-71 is my understanding?  :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

It wasn't just the heavy rods that made external balance necessary in '70-'71, but the combined weight of the pistons/rods. Ironically, all of the heavy rod 440's after '71 didn't need external balance because the lighter low-compression pistons made it unnecessary.