News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 piece automatic kickdown linkage interchangeability

Started by mopar346, August 01, 2022, 07:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar346

Good evening all,

I searched for an hour for a previous post figuring I can't be the only one trying to locate the correct linkage. I have 2 69 Chargers I need the correct kickdown linkage for, both 440/727 console cars. I have a fair amount of kickdown linkage and was curious if any of it will interchange to my application, I have 383 manifold bracket, pivot and carb linkage and several complete small block set ups. Not sure if 904 and 727 is the same on small blocks?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

John_Kunkel

The linkage is pretty specific to engine/transmission; there are a few parts that are interchangeable but even the factory parts book isn't much help.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar346

Thank you, I spent last night studying the offerings from Brewer and Ebay sellers and today in a few junk yards from what I can gather the intake bracket, pivot and the carb linkage is the same for 361/383 and 440, pulled a couple today, had one on hand. The rod from the engine to the trans pivot are different, I have 3 different ones, assuming shortest for SB, middle for B engines and the longest for RB, the ends will interchange. I have 3 different trans pivots as well, 2 different ones with the clip-on ball on the trans side and 1 with just has 2 holes, I'm pretty sure the latter is SB. I have several trans pivot to trans level rods that are all the same and I believe are SB, question is are they for 904 only or are the same for SB 727. I'm assuming that the pivot to trans rod would be the same for 727s SB or BB. I'm also assuming that the correct 69 trans pivot to trans lever rod has a clip on one end, but that could be a earlier version since the donor cars were 66 and 67. At some point I'll mate up an engine and trans and do some fitting or maybe go ahead and attempt to change the RT from the 1 piece to the correct 3 piece set up. I'll report back so maybe it can be useful in the future for some other poor soul.

John_Kunkel

Mixing/matching unknown parts will sometimes work and sometimes not. After you have a combo installed that you're happy with, check for correct operation by adjusting the linkage so that the trans lever is full forward at carb curb idle and NEAR full back at WOT; ignore all advice that says the trans lever must be full back at WOT.

Also, be sure that the throttle cable is correctly adjusted so the carb goes WOT when the pedal is floored.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar346

b5blue

Consider what intake/carb. you'll be using if not bone stock.  :scratchchin:

GreenMachine

The intake bracket and the carb rod are different between 2 barrel and 4 barrel. 440's were all 4 barrel, but 383 and 400 had both.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

b5blue

How high the 4BBL sits can effect linkage, my CH4B sits up a bit but clears okay.  :scratchchin:

mopar346

The RT will be either stock or a 6 pack (I just love'm) but the 500 will definitely be a 6 pack so I'll get the proper linkages if I can't find the right stuff.

b5blue

I ran a 6BBL for about 20 years, good stuff! The linkage is not the same for 4BBL.