News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clock

Started by dreamcatcher, August 24, 2022, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

When I installed my dash and put power to it to my surprise the factory clock started working in a 54 year old dash. Over a year now and still going. Only problem is it gains about 20 minutes a day. Any suggestions on what I can do to slow it down?
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Bronzedodge

Yes, wind it back 12 hrs to the correct time.  The clocks have a self-correcting mechanism, basically a tension adjust on one of the jewels (!) when the clock winds itself about every 98-120 seconds.  The mechanism can be durable on indoor-stored cars, the relay coils have a tendency to burn out.  I added a 1/2 amp fuse to my power lead.
Mopar forever!

dreamcatcher

Thank you I will try it. Just thought it was cool that a 52 year old clock worked.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

devinism

I should add that each time you adjust the time it SHOULD make a tiny adjustment to the calibration. To adjust-out 20 minutes MAY take dozens of times of pulling out on the knob and rotating CCW (10 minutes should do it), then releasing. This is assuming the adjusting lever inside the clock still moves.
I have restored 100s of factory clocks (along with 1000s of MoPar switches) and have found that most clocks, after cleaning off the old factory GREASE and then lubricating with synthetic clock oil, run 10+ minutes fast. You can make quicker / larger adjustments, but they require removal from the metal housing.

panhead

Good day Folks,

A good friend of mine asked if I could see why his clock (clock/tach) was not working and when I opened it up this is what I found...

I managed take a couple of clocks and get this one working again.
I don't believe I'll go down this rabbit hole again!!

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"