News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Urethane vs. Enamel paint...pros and cons?

Started by AKcharger, August 26, 2022, 10:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Well it's that time again, car has held up well in 18 yrs since last paint but it's showing it's age and needs a "refresh" fortunately needs very little in way of body work so only concern is paint

1) Plan is PPG shopline series paint, Question is they offer Enamel and Urethane versions, what's the difference? is one better than the other??

2) There is acrylic sealers and Epoxy primer/sealer is one better than the other??

3) PPG's product flyer shows Urethane clear suitable for topping Enamel...anyone ever have a reaction?

Thanks in advance

P.S. prepare for me ranting and raving in future posts no-doubt  :RantExplode: :rofl:

DownZero

Paint looks pretty good from the pic. Not sure i would mess with it.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: DownZero on August 26, 2022, 01:54:57 PM
Paint looks pretty good from the pic. Not sure i would mess with it.

Agree!   Spend some time working with what you have and you will probably be shocked at the results.   Unless, you are looking for something to do... LOL :shruggy:

I did a light wet sand and buff on a past car that had 30 year old paint and it turned out awesome!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi-hampton

Putting Shopline on it would just ruin it. Shopline is only good for cheap low budget Used Car Lots. I'd highly recommend higher Quality paint on any older Musclecar. LEON.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 27, 2022, 01:20:58 AM
Putting Shopline on it would just ruin it. Shopline is only good for cheap low budget Used Car Lots. I'd highly recommend higher Quality paint on any older Musclecar. LEON.

- Leon your opinion has weight: What WOULD you suggest and back to Enamel/Urethane question. Any remarkable difference?

- Down Zero and 1970...I can see why you'd say that from the photo but there are several rust bubbles that formed and are about to "pop" so they need attention. In addition, the passenger fender has annoyed me for YEARS! It's a 73/74 and know it's wrong. I've had this fender in the rafters for years, time to get it installed

hemi-hampton

Did you want to go single stage or 2 stage base coat clear coat? Being metallic I'd go base coat clear coat & go urethane. You could maybe get away with a cheap shopline base coat if you put a high quality expensive urethane Clear Coat over it. That would protect the cheap paint some from breaking down. Shopline may look good for first year but will quickly beak down & deteriorate if exposed to the Sun. Being cheap I'm not sure if the break down is due to no UV light protection. I believe most high Quality Clears will have UV protection nowadays. You can use a single stage paint & then clear over it but that kinda defeats the purpose of using a single stage & single stage metallics are much harder to spray evenly with no zebra stripes or mottling. A car done in all shopline might be OK, If it stayed covered in garage 99% of it's time. LEON.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: AKcharger on August 27, 2022, 07:16:53 AM

- Down Zero and 1970...I can see why you'd say that from the photo but there are several rust bubbles that formed and are about to "pop" so they need attention. In addition, the passenger fender has annoyed me for YEARS! It's a 73/74 and know it's wrong. I've had this fender in the rafters for years, time to get it installed

Looks like you do have some work to do.   Good winter project!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 27, 2022, 10:19:20 AM
Did you want to go single stage or 2 stage base coat clear coat? Being metallic I'd go base coat clear coat & go urethane. You could maybe get away with a cheap shopline base coat if you put a high quality expensive urethane Clear Coat over it. That would protect the cheap paint some from breaking down. Shopline may look good for first year but will quickly beak down & deteriorate if exposed to the Sun. Being cheap I'm not sure if the break down is due to no UV light protection. I believe most high Quality Clears will have UV protection nowadays. You can use a single stage paint & then clear over it but that kinda defeats the purpose of using a single stage & single stage metallics are much harder to spray evenly with no zebra stripes or mottling. A car done in all shopline might be OK, If it stayed covered in garage 99% of it's time. LEON.

Thanks Sir, copy all

Just for FYI I shot PPG Omni on my last '70 in 2004, Single stage with Clear over it....it still looks good to this day. Shop line was purportedly the replacement for OMNI...so that's all I'm going with. $$ isn't an issue as much as product experience. Again appreciate the input  :yesnod:

- Down Zero - yeah, have some time and plan to take this one to Carlise in June so need to make it presentable

b5blue

When I started getting ready to do my 70 I asked the same questions. Here is my saga: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88583.0.html
While mine was a "save what is left" spray not a nice redo like you the guys here were a great help! (My kids will get to do a proper redo.)

AKcharger

Oh how rude! I failed to update!

OK well I've known the door needed some lovin' and repairs were beyond my capability so out sourced it to a shop, they did well :-)

AKcharger

The rest of it was doable, grind, patch and fill some spots here and there

AKcharger

Primer day!!
Now to gap doors/fenders and block sand!

b5blue

:2thumbs: We are gonna have good weather so get it on! Looking good!  :cheers:

AKcharger

Paint complete, now wet sand and buff...then reassembly!

AKcharger

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

AKcharger

Done...reassembly in-progress

b5blue

Are ya happy with the semi gloss? It looks super!  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

the front of stripe looks way to round, aint supposed to be more squared off? LEON.

AKcharger

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on March 17, 2023, 08:27:27 PMAre ya happy with the semi gloss? It looks super!  :2thumbs:

I am! I think it's about as close as you're gonna get without a LOT of time and effort and MONEY

hemi-hampton

Here's a unrestored original, front of hood black out don't look as round as yours? The pic of that red one you posted don't look as round as yours. LEON.

https://www.volocars.com/vehicles/15184/1972-dodge-charger-rallye

AKcharger

Yeah well maybe Phoenix Graphix was off by a bit? I'm still happy and take the 2-point deduction when it's gets OE Gold judged lol