News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird damaged by Hurricane Ian

Started by Dave Kanofsky, September 29, 2022, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Kanofsky

Anybody on here?  Hope people are all OK, and then hope the car will get fixed
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

:o :'(

Man, that sucks.. :-(

That is a freakin' lot of force to flip the car over.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

Bummer  :icon_smile_blackeye:    not good  hope every one ok
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Redbird

As close to the ocean as Bonita Springs is, the car was likely rusting from the inside to the outside long before the hurricane came.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on September 29, 2022, 03:13:51 PM
As close to the ocean as Bonita Springs is, the car was likely rusting from the inside to the outside long before the hurricane came.

Doesn't mean it was a Florida car. originally...... If you keep them inside, they do ok.. I grew up in South Florida (West Palm Beach)... It is when they were one's daily rides and they were outside all the time when you had rust issues....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

RSI700VIPER

Looks like the car was picked up and dropped on it's roof.  Hopefully the owner and his/her family is safe.  
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

rainbow4jd

WELL - I GUESS I WAS WRONG IN MY SUSPICION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbf2LfBlqis

Something doesn't feel right about that photo.  I'm questioning whether it's real or not

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: rainbow4jd on September 29, 2022, 03:20:21 PM
Something doesn't feel right about that photo.  I'm questioning whether it's real or not

I agree. However, if it is, the car is the least of their problems.

hemi68charger

Quote from: rainbow4jd on September 29, 2022, 03:20:21 PM

In hindsight and looking over some Facebook posts, I am starting to think the same....
Troy

b5blue

Quote from: Redbird on September 29, 2022, 03:13:51 PM
I call bull on that. My 70 Charger has spent 99% of it's life within 15 miles of the beach and it's fine. 1 or 2 winters on salted roads up north kills cars.

Sgt Superbird

I'm calling BS too...IMO, the arch to the leaf spring doesn't look right; the axle should be pulled down (or up, cuz it's up-side-down) into the wheel well. Looks like a leaf spring arch when the rear of the car is jacked up and weight taken off the tires.  :scratchchin:

I just took a screenshot of the car and rotated the picture. Yep, very likely fake. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture!

Sgt Superbird

Here it is...what say you?

Dave Kanofsky

"IMO, the arch to the leaf spring doesn't look right; the axle should be pulled down (or up, cuz it's up-side-down) into the wheel well. Looks like a leaf spring arch when the rear of the car is jacked up and weight taken off the tires"

I'm not defending it as I have no idea, just consider the springs normally have the weight of the car on them, and now only have the diff and wheels, I bet it would sit tall
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Pinballjim

I'm calling BS too.   At least I hope so.   My phone has been blowing up all afternoon with my friends sending me that picture.   

Pinballjim

And ANOTHER thing.....    If your Superbird was in a storm strong enough to flip it over, wouldn't it be DIRTY?

To the knucklehead who photoshopped that pic:    You're a tool.   

A383Wing

Sgt Superbird

Good point, Dave K.

I still think it's probably photoshopped, and I really hope it is. Cars are too clean, the Bird wing cross member would be buried in sand, and most of all, who would NOT have moved those cars to high ground, prior to the storm?  :Twocents:

I'm sure we'll find out the truth in due time.

Mytur Binsdirti

It is real. Just saw an aerial shot of it on the news.

Sgt Superbird

Well, that blows!  I stand corrected.

To make matters worse, it looks like the Daytona now needs the impossible to find rear window.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Sgt Superbird

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                29 September 2022

Looks like Crow is on the menu for supper this evening !!!

Kind of reminds us of an old saying: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Feel sorry for the owner(s) and the cars. Going to be a bear to find a correct backlight for the Daytona.

Wishing all involved a good and happy outcome. Hope no one was injured.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

RSI700VIPER

So very sad that 2 iconic cars would suffer such a fate.  A friend bought a 1971 Charger RT after Superstorm Sandy hit that was steering wheel deep in "brackish" water.  It was professionally cleaned with all soft parts replaced including wire harnesses.  After the car was completely gone through, the car looked great for about 6 months.  Unfortunately, the the salt water that entered every crevice, pinch weld, and seam eventually pushed out and the car started rusting everywhere.  Even under the paint.  I'm afraid these two winged warriors are history.   :icon_smile_sad:              
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Golden-Arm

i'm hearing these are clone cars. maybe, maybe not, sucks either way.  :shruggy: