News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird damaged by Hurricane Ian

Started by Dave Kanofsky, September 29, 2022, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Does not sound like a very large percentage of that original car will be still with it when all said and done
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Sgt Superbird

That's what I call a survivor car!  :smilielol:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 13, 2023, 07:12:14 PMDoes not sound like a very large percentage of that original car will be still with it when all said and done

Only fixing what was already incorrect in the first place for the most part.

Redbird

From your description, it seems that somewhere between 1/4-1/3 of the original body panels installed at the factory in 1969 will be in the final car.

Well at least it will have the original trunk lid.

New reproduction wiring, interior, brakes, suspension.  Can probably find a used steering column and steering wheel, carb, plus heater box. Glass from somewhere else.

Kind of a definition of a Bitsa?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Sorry I forgot to post this update, I immediately left for Hot Rod Power Tour and some shenanigans.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Redbird

I'm trying to understand the word description and how it matches up with the pictures. And by the way the car looks beautiful and I believe it will look fantastic when done.

From your description it appears that both quarters were replaced, as well as the trunk floor, the floor pan, roof, one door exterior metal, one fender, lower rear quarter extensions, and the body structure under the doors. The rear frames were incorrectly repaired previously so new pieces will be put in. None the less the rear frame rails will not be the ones the factory installed. It seems as if the rear trunk panel is being replaced too?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as if the only body frame pieces originally installed at the factory behind the firewall will be some of the interior framing, a door, another door frame, the wing, the diamond pieces, the back window framing, and the trunk lid. Essentially the car has been built behind the firewall from a lot of parts, has it not? Perhaps the window mechanisms, trunk latch, door hardware and everything else will come from a parts car too?

How much of this is the assembly of a new car one piece at a time around some original interior body framing?

I'm guessing that the wiring harnesses will be replaced, as well as the front suspension, upholstery, and who knows what else?

So will the original engine block will be filled with new parts as will the transmission case?

I'd suggest a thoughtful and complete description of how much of the factory assembled car remains for those of us trying to understand how much of the original factory car remains please. A great project. Thank you.