News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird damaged by Hurricane Ian

Started by Dave Kanofsky, September 29, 2022, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbird

I have a great deal of empathy for those that were in the path of the storm who really have no means at all. A good number had no means to get away from their homes before the storm hit. Some died and others will have unsurmountable medical bills. Tens of thousands of people are going to be devastated financially, and they will feel the effects for decades. Some will never recover.

This storm will probably be the last straw for private insurance companies in Florida.

426HemiChick

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on September 29, 2022, 07:55:49 PM
So very sad that 2 iconic cars would suffer such a fate.  A friend bought a 1971 Charger RT after Superstorm Sandy hit that was steering wheel deep in "brackish" water.  It was professionally cleaned with all soft parts replaced including wire harnesses.  After the car was completely gone through, the car looked great for about 6 months.  Unfortunately, the the salt water that entered every crevice, pinch weld, and seam eventually pushed out and the car started rusting everywhere.  Even under the paint.  I'm afraid these two winged warriors are history.   :icon_smile_sad:              

Hi RSI700VIPER,             29 September 2022

We think you are correct in your assessment. I lived in Key West for 9 Months in 1963 - 64. Cars that lived in that environment, including Miami rotted out almost as fast as they were built. Corrosion protection on US cars of that era was nil at best. Number one, I would never live there again and would never take any of our cars there for any reason. I do not like high humidity; you cannot escape it there unless you are in an air-conditioned dehumidified cocoon 24 x 7. Not much fun.

Hopefully, the cars can be saved from a rusty demise. There has to be a way to neutralize the salt water penetration, just don't know zackly how it's done. Surely won't be cheap. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 29, 2022, 08:33:32 PM
Quote from: RSI700VIPER on September 29, 2022, 07:55:49 PM
So very sad that 2 iconic cars would suffer such a fate.  A friend bought a 1971 Charger RT after Superstorm Sandy hit that was steering wheel deep in "brackish" water.  It was professionally cleaned with all soft parts replaced including wire harnesses.  After the car was completely gone through, the car looked great for about 6 months.  Unfortunately, the the salt water that entered every crevice, pinch weld, and seam eventually pushed out and the car started rusting everywhere.  Even under the paint.  I'm afraid these two winged warriors are history.   :icon_smile_sad:              

Hi RSI700VIPER,             29 September 2022

We think you are correct in your assessment. I lived in Key West for 9 Months in 1963 - 64. Cars that lived in that environment, including Miami rotted out almost as fast as they were built. Corrosion protection on US cars of that era was nil at best. Number one, I would never live there again and would never take any of our cars there for any reason. I do not like high humidity; you cannot escape it there unless you are in an air-conditioned dehumidified cocoon 24 x 7. Not much fun.

Hopefully, the cars can be saved from a rusty demise. There has to be a way to neutralize the salt water penetration, just don't know zackly how it's done. Surely won't be cheap. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I hope you are right 426 HC.  I saw your Hemi Daytona at Carlisle in 2021.  Amazing machine. 
Thank you for your service.   
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

DoubleDlover

Looks like the back window of the daytona and trim got blown out. So someone is going to be happy when they find them.. But.. What is the tube sticking up on the back bumper of the daytona??

70 sublime

Quote from: DoubleDlover on September 30, 2022, 12:12:46 AM
Looks like the back window of the daytona and trim got blown out. So someone is going to be happy when they find them.. But.. What is the tube sticking up on the back bumper of the daytona??

If you look real close at the red car it looks like there is a piece hanging on both sides
Looks like the trunk opening weather strip has peeled out
Was the car full of water and washed it out from the inside ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

StoneCold

70 sublime

Lucky guy to have that many nice cars

Question

Why are the lights open on both Daytonas and closed on both Birds ?

Daytonas used stronger springs ?
Or no springs on the Birds ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 30, 2022, 08:56:07 AM

Question

Hi 70 sublime,                    30 September 2022

I think the answer to the lights on the Daytona's being open is due to the lights being closed by Vacuum. If there is a slight vacuum leak, the lights open. Start the engine and they close. Can't speak for the Birds. Have a suspicion the Process was reversed on the Bird: opened by vacuum, closed by springs.

The problem I see for the Birds is if the vacuum line is broken or cut for some reason, the lights won't open. Bad news if needing to drive the car at night. The reverse is true for the Daytona's, vacuum failure lights open. No problem at night, just looks strange during daylight hours.

When we first got our Daytona, the lights would open almost as soon as the engine was shut down. That was rectified with a new vacuum canister/reservoir. Easy to buy from a Dodge dealer in 1972. The vacuum reservoir was just a fruit juice can modified to hold a vacuum and painted flat black. The mod was a two way valve on the top of the canister. One line went to the engine vacuum source and the other the headlight switch, which when turned on released the vacuum allowing the headlights to open via spring pressure.

We think the guy likes orange cars. Sure hope he can get everything fixed properly. Got a feeling when it's all said and done he will move to some place safer, like PHOENIX, ARIZONA . . . . Hint Hint. No salt water here, very low humidity and lots of sunshine.

To the owner: If you decide to move to Phoenix, look us up; you are welcome here.

Hope this helps.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

A383Wing

The headlight vacuum systems are the same for both wing cars.

426HemiChick

Quote from: A383Wing on September 30, 2022, 12:00:21 PM
The headlight vacuum systems are the same for both wing cars.

Hi A383,               30 September 2022

Are you certain they are the same? If true, why is it that Daytona's are notorious for light's open after being shut down. Never have seen a bird with lights open when the lights and engine are off.

You may be correct, we only had a Daytona for 48 years, never had a Bird.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

JimShine

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 30, 2022, 11:57:40 AM

I think the answer to the lights on the Daytona's being open is due to the lights being closed by Vacuum. If there is a slight vacuum leak, the lights open. Start the engine and they close. Can't speak for the Birds. Have a suspicion the Process was reversed on the Bird: opened by vacuum, closed by springs.

The problem I see for the Birds is if the vacuum line is broken or cut for some reason, the lights won't open. Bad news if needing to drive the car at night. The reverse is true for the Daytona's, vacuum failure lights open. No problem at night, just looks strange during daylight hours.

When we first got our Daytona, the lights would open almost as soon as the engine was shut down. That was rectified with a new vacuum canister/reservoir. Easy to buy from a Dodge dealer in 1972. The vacuum reservoir was just a fruit juice can modified to hold a vacuum and painted flat black. The mod was a two way valve on the top of the canister. One line went to the engine vacuum source and the other the headlight switch, which when turned on released the vacuum allowing the headlights to open via spring pressure.

Basically the same as a standard 1968-9 Dodge Charger. Most Charger's seem to lose the canister thanks to battery acid dripping down and eating a hole in the can. They are still available. Vans sells them https://vansauto.com/product/68-69-charger-headlight-vacuum-canister/.

I found the canister didn't just keep a small surplus on hand to shut the doors after engine was shut off, it also helped maintain a steady vacuum while the engine is running.

426HemiChick

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on September 29, 2022, 10:38:20 PM

I hope you are right 426 HC.  I saw your Hemi Daytona at Carlisle in 2021.  Amazing machine. 
Thank you for your service.   

Hi RSI700VIPER,                    30 September 2022

You are quite welcome and Thank You Viper, She is an amazing car. Best runner of any car we've ever had the pleasure of its owning us. You don't own Daytona's, they own you.

We've said this before: We believe the Dodge Chargers 1968 - 1970 are the most beautiful cars ever to grace the world's highways. This is especially true of the Daytona's, aside from their beauty, they are outrageous and only a few folks can ever be owned by one. We miss her but know she has a great caretaker in Bob Jennings. It was an honor to have her own us for 48 years.

Thanks Again.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Repsol17

1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

cudavic

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 30, 2022, 08:56:07 AM

Question

I would say the owner disconnected the headlight springs on the Superbird's.
My friend that owned six Superbirds over the years disconnected the headlight springs on all of his birds so the headlights wouldn't pop up over time when they were sitting.

6bblgt

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 01, 2022, 02:37:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbf2LfBlqis

owner interview  :o

This guy is not far south from Iron Stable Garage LLC in Clearwater, FL.   They've do restoration work on Daytona's and Superbirds.  Maybe somebody knows how to connect the guy with that garage.   The biggest thing will be getting the car "dipped" to get to all the salt.

According to this article it's about $2,500 (probably more now with inflation).

https://advancedtechnicalprod.com/chemical-dipping-removes-years-of-paint-and-rust-from-vehicles/#:~:text=Chemical%20dipping%20removes%20paint%20and,%242%2C400%20for%20a%20car%20body.

hemi-hampton

I thought the pics were photoshopped. I guess not. Bummer.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 30, 2022, 12:19:53 PM
Never have seen a bird with lights open when the lights and engine are off.

The mechanical parts/vacuum parts/etc are the same between both the Tona' and Superbird....here's a "showroom" Bird back in the day, they suffered from a poorly designed system....

472 R/T SE

OK all u know-it-alls.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/591062792799916?s=yWDuG2&fs=e

The black striped Daytona was recently restored by Graveyard.  Worm did almost an entire show on it even interviewing the owner.  They mention having rigs for the kids.  Same people in the news photos.
Start 34:00 if u can't stomach Worm.

https://youtu.be/SEYPqoYPeSo

His Dad bought the black striped car for him @ 16 (original owner)..
Wheres yalls qualifications for calling out fake photos, lol.

I'm sorry Mr. & Mrs. Walton for the crap you might eventually read.  Awesome that the sentimental ones were moved.

hemi68charger

I personally thought the photos were faked too, I was hoping I was correct because never in a million years would I wish this on my enemies, do something to my enemies,  but not this. Does it make me a bad person, nope. Seen my fair share of BS photos in the past. Hopefully he can find rear glass, if not Grant Janak might have the alternatives.

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 02, 2022, 12:19:23 PM

The mechanical parts/vacuum parts/etc are the same between both the Tona' and Superbird....here's a "showroom" Bird back in the day, they suffered from a poorly designed system....

Interesting placement of the front license plate bracket.  I have an original and it mounts to the bumper. 
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

472 R/T SE

Seen so much crap on these cars I never checked out 6bblgt's video.
Shoulda known better coming from him.  My fault 4 that only.

Just glad that the being fake can be put to bed.  Their misery & being genuine midwest people didn't deserve it.

451-74Charger

Found the video of them with the owner on Youtube and how depressing.
So glad it was only property though, not life.

FJ5WING

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on October 02, 2022, 06:13:42 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 02, 2022, 12:19:23 PM

Interesting placement of the front license plate bracket.  I have an original and it mounts to the bumper. 

I've basically found it was whatever the dealer decided on was the best placement. probably not two dealers in the same region with the same placements.
Most of us have seen the pic with the plate bracket mounted on the top of the leading edge of the nosecone.
wingless now, but still around.

Redbird

As regards to the license plate bracket on Superbirds; there was a cut sheet along with the bracket which were placed in the trunk at customer delivery showing the attachment at the top front of the nose.

As to the 2 trashed wing cars, along with thousands of other cars. The current owners will be just fine. Insurance will make them whole less their deductibles. My thoughts are that the people who are probably really going to be upside down in a bad way are people who end up with them in a musical chairs game 5 years down the road. I don't see how everything on and in them won't turn to rust. Window and door hardware between panels, rust coming out of pinchwelds, rust inside panels, under the dash, everywhere. Maybe there is a miracle clean-up process but I would never want to own these cars. After a chain of ownerships, no one will say "yes I knew about the history." People down the road are likely going to be hurt badly.