News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Final Sanding for color coat question

Started by AKcharger, November 24, 2022, 10:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Howdy!

OK the PPG data sheet says topcoat primer surfacer with 400 grit dry or 500 wet, Problem is there isn't 500 grit only 600. Is 600 too fine? I know the 400 dry is gonna load up FAST so prefer wet.

hemi-hampton

if your going to use basecoat, especially metallic base coat then 600 wet. I prefer 400 for single stage. Like I said before, Seal before painting although some will say sealer optional. :slap: LEON.

P.S. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary :scratchchin:

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 25, 2022, 12:41:08 AM
if your going to use basecoat, especially metallic base coat then 600 wet. Like I said before, Seal before painting although some will say sealer optional. :slap: LEON.

600 wet...Copy that Sir!

AKcharger

hemi-hampton

Here's a Black Metallic Chrysler 300 I just Painted last Week. The 1/4's were so Rusty I had to remake them with fabricated Patches. The 2nd pic is it in Black Sealer. LEON.

Mopar Nut

Looks awesome! Well done. Black is hard to get straight like that.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

AKcharger

So Leon, do you do any Sanding or scuffing to sealer or let it dry and shoot color?

hemi-hampton

Per the Data Sheet I let it dry for at least 20 Minutes then shoot the Base & then Clear over it. Unless I'm doing a School bus, Then I shoot white sealer over it & put 2 coats single stage school bus yellow. I must of sprayed a thousand gallons of that stuff past few years  :brickwall: LEON.

hemi-hampton

Off subject but the rusty Dog Leg on that Rusty POS Chrysler 300. A quicky Patch Job. LEON.

AKcharger

Man makes me feel old to see a "new" car rusty. Good work as always!

AKcharger

1st Blocking complete 2nd primer coat on and blocking in-progress!