News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad brakes - 69 Charger

Started by C500, February 22, 2023, 08:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hey guys.....I've been through and replaced the whole system. Originally a drum/drum car, got a front disc kit from SSBC, Kit A156 (NOT the Force 10 kit) with new master cylinder, new dual diaphragm booster, replaced the brake lines, new disc/drum brass distribution block, new rear wheel cylinders and pads. When rebuilding the 440, the cam I was recommended was the Crower Hydraulic (271HDP) Flat tappet, (Advertised Duration 271/284, Lift .486/.496 Part number: 32242) due to it having enough vacuum for the brakes. My brakes have been so bad, the brakes shop did a vacuum test today, and simply not getting enough vacuum for the brakes - getting only 12 inches of vac.

Maybe its a combination of the 440 stealth heads, that have been street ported:
Cam lift is 0.496 HDP271. SF-600 tested at 28" H²0 Heads went from 250.6cfm to 287.8cfm intake, exhaust 192.6 to 207cfm. Engine Compression ratio 10.2, CH4B Alluminum intake, maybe it's just the cam...

Not keen to change to a Hydratech system, I have the engine area looking pretty original.  The heads have been port matched to the factory cast iron manifolds, heads .

Keen to hear some advice / thoughts on the brake issue with my setup above.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

469 runner

That is a mild cam and should produce way more vacuum than that. Was the cam installed straight up?  If the cam was retarded it will affect vacuum at idle.  Also, check for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold and carburetor gasket.  Late ignition timing will also decrease vacuum.  You should have between 17-21 inches.

C500

Quote from: 469 runner on March 03, 2023, 10:03:07 PMThat is a mild cam and should produce way more vacuum than that. Was the cam installed straight up?  If the cam was retarded it will affect vacuum at idle.  Also, check for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold and carburetor gasket.  Late ignition timing will also decrease vacuum.  You should have between 17-21 inches.

Yes, agreed on the cam and vacuum. I'll be testing for leaks soon. Engine was rebuilt by a reputable engine shop, I'm doubting it was installed wrong.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."