News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey painters what grit?

Started by b5blue, December 12, 2022, 09:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Sanding grit for spraying single stage over single stage? I'm touching up a white paint job. I'm thinking 400.  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

If your touching up are you going to be blending or panel painting? LEON.

Kern Dog

I would not go any rougher than 400. I've painted over surfaces I sanded with 800 grit. The paint takes both a chemical and a mechanical bite into the existing surface. Compatibility between undercoat and topcoat is actually equally important.
Good luck. Post pictures too!

b5blue

Leon I'll be blending on the white paint you helped me figure out years ago.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88583.125.html

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on December 13, 2022, 10:31:17 AM
Leon I'll be blending on the white paint you helped me figure out years ago.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88583.125.html

Blending a little different then just painting a car or panel. it can get more complicated to do right & to get good results. BUT, I don't want to answer all the Paint Questions in here. I'll let CornDog explain the Blending Process/Procedure/Method :scratchchin:

Canadian1968

If your doing a spot repair,  400 Grit should be fine, unless your using some of the newer 3M cubitron sand paper, in which case I would drop down to 500.   Not sure what the repair looks like but it sounds like you have the exact paint that the car was originally painted with?  This will help keep the blend area small if needed, but a good rule of thumb is blend colour out 6" past repair.  This area will all be sanded with 500, then grab some 800 and sand out another 6". You can then drop down one more grit if you wish, to 1000 or finer. Or you could polish the end of 800 scratches and a few inches past.

2 coats of Single stage over repair, blending out into the 80% of your 800 scratches. Then as per paint supplier recommendations , either cut the original paint, down 70% with blending solvents, or use straight blending solvent ( some manufactures will say to use their reducer) . Blending should end right at the end of the 800 or fine grit scratches.  Chances are there will be slight haze at the end of the blend that should buff up easily .

I prefer to keep my blends inside my scratch profile ( usually finish with 1500 )  This way I know that im not relying completely on the chemical bond properties of the blender to stop it from rolling back.

Blending really is a bit of an art, and changes depending on the repair. They can be made very small if needed , but you didn't say what the repair was .

Don't be upset if it doesn't turn out 100% for your first try by youself. !! But you won't learn with out trying!

b5blue

Thanks very much guys! Without getting into small details and wasting your time yea I've the exact paint and have a few spots to fill where the painter over worked filler and some areas just need more paint! Here in FL. the only time I have to do body/paint is winter for low humidity and temps below 75 or so.  :2thumbs:

Canadian1968

Basically the only thing to watch out for... is carry the color past  your repair area. With you having original paint  single.stage and white...... it doesn't get more forgiving.

I can only suggest is polish surround paint to try and bring it back to it original color and remove any surface  contamination  before you start anything.   Not sure how long it's been since the car was originally painted .

And don't forget a good wash with degreaser of your choice

b5blue

It was shot March of 2013. With advise from hemi-hampton (THANKS AGAIN) the car was prepped and handed over to Jerry to topcoat. Use to "Small Tuners" the Charger kinda kicked Jerry's ass. The car is a driver not show so no worries, you've outlined plenty for me to work with so again thanks!   :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

b5blue

NWS calls for 72 degrees next week!