News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Randy's Restomod Daytona on a Hellcat Challenger

Started by Stevearino, December 16, 2022, 04:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Hey everyone. Sublime 70 started a thread over on the Charger discussion page about this build that I am just starting. The car is a 1970 Charger shell that I will be splicing on to a 2022 Hellcat Challenger. The Challenger has about 8,700 miles on it and looks like something big fell on the roof and they totaled it so it has a salvage title. Other wise it is a pretty nice car. The 70 Charger is someones sad tale of a restoration project gone on too long for the wallet. The owner cried uncle and tapped out after spending 6 figures on the car. The car was completely dismantled and had been media blasted and was ready to go back forward when the owner sold it to a friend of mine for a ridiculously low price. There was tons of stuff on the car that I did not need for this project and I left all that stuff with him to sell off. I basically only took what I needed which was the shell minus the hood. The car had been media blasted and epoxy primed so the dirty work of stripping it down was done and out of the way. Any way some here may not agree with some of the design choices the owner wanted for this build but it is his build and I will be trying to bring his vision to life. I built him a 1/25 scale model to help him visualize the build. He has already made some changes so it is not exactly what we will have in the end.
Any way here is the first video in the series and number 2 will be posted here today.       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulmWpF5lfM&t=123s

WINGIN IT

Stevearino

Stevearino

Some Pictures

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

KurtfromLaQuinta

hemi-hampton

Would a old 68-70 Charger Body fit better onto a newer Charger instead of a Challenger? LEON.

Stevearino

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 18, 2022, 09:09:20 PM
Would a old 68-70 Charger Body fit better onto a newer Charger instead of a Challenger? LEON.

The only difference between the LX ( Dodge Charger, Magnum, Chrysler 300) and the LY (Challenger) platform is the wheel base. The floor pan of the Challenger is 4" shorter behind the front sears. The old Charger has a 117" wheel base. The new Charger has a 120" wheel base.  The Challenger is  116" . With that said my Daytona is on a modern Charger. It looks right because I lined up the rear wheels in the old Charger stock openings and lengthened the rear section of the front fender. Because the Daytona nose adds another 18" of length to the car it looks balanced. Without the nose you have to push the back wheels back 1 1/2" inches and move the fronts forward 1 1/2".  I doesn't look too bad but any one who looks at old Chargers a lot will notice something is off.

hemi-hampton

Thanks for that info, I was curious about the different wheelbases for each car. LEON.

Hemidog

Stevearino

moparstuart

the adaptive cruise active radar camera is in / behind the lower grille in the bumper   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mopar4don

AMAZING work Steve!  :2thumbs:

I look forward to your Friday updates!  :popcrn:

Stevearino

Quote from: moparstuart on December 27, 2022, 11:06:16 AM
the adaptive cruise active radar camera is in / behind the lower grille in the bumper   

Thanks Stu. That means I will probably be able to keep that option.

Quote from: mopar4don on December 27, 2022, 01:42:16 PM
AMAZING work Steve!  :2thumbs:

I look forward to your Friday updates!  :popcrn:

Thanks again Don. I hope it doesn't get to repetitive in the future.

birdsandbees

Wife's... to show the adaptive cruise sensor

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Stevearino

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 28, 2022, 08:07:36 PM
Wife's... to show the adaptive cruise sensor

Nothing like that on this car. The only thing behind the grill either upper or lower is the outside temperature sensor. Hell this might not have that option after all.

Stevearino

panhead

Good day sir,

You're doing amazing work!!! As well as opening my eyes to new ways of shaping metal!! Thank you!!

What brand of shrinker/stretcher is that? And were would a person get one?

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Stevearino

Quote from: panhead on December 30, 2022, 08:09:39 PM
Good day sir,

You're doing amazing work!!! As well as opening my eyes to new ways of shaping metal!! Thank you!!

What brand of shrinker/stretcher is that? And were would a person get one?

Curt

Thanks. That is an Eckold shrinker/stretcher or hand former as they may be called. I am not sure where they are sold because I bought mine second hand. They are pretty pricey. I got this one cheap years ago for $1,500.00 At that time they listed for $3,500.00 You can get a decent machine with deep jaws from Eastwood for about $400.00. The big deal with the Eckold is that it has round jaws as opposed to the squared off jaws of most less expensive setups. If I did not get it so cheap I don't know that I would even have one. Great machine.

DonC1

Great work Steve as always!
Those Eckolds appear to have more bite radius than the standard square jaws everybody carries.

Stevearino

Quote from: DonC1 on January 02, 2023, 12:34:03 AM
Great work Steve as always!
Those Eckolds appear to have more bite radius than the standard square jaws everybody carries.

Thanks and you certainly would know Don. While working for Hendrick Motorsports I really got spoiled . We had an Ekold 4 way power shrinker. You could address the center of a panel with one of those about 20" in. If you were not careful and had the jaws adjusted too much before you turned it on you would instantly cobble up your work before you got it shut down. If you wanted to just sweeten something up you had been working on for a while you had better get another guy to help gradually tighten or loosen the wheel as you worked the panel or you could ruin your efforts.

Stevearino

cdr

looking great Steve, its all those time consuming little things that make it a great build, I know I repeat myself but, your craftmanship is off the charts, I am SO impressed with your abilities , looking forward to the next update.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on January 06, 2023, 11:12:03 PM
looking great Steve, its all those time consuming little things that make it a great build, I know I repeat myself but, your craftmanship is off the charts, I am SO impressed with your abilities , looking forward to the next update.

Only wished we lived closer Charlie. I would love to help out on ol Brain Damage.