News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mocking up big block with 46 Rh transmission

Started by AZMoparboy, December 15, 2022, 02:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMoparboy

Hi to all of you veteran mopar mechanics,

I have a 1968 Charger in its early stages and wanted to do the alterations to the crossmember and floor early in the build. I have modified my 46RH with a ultra bell and have mated it with my 383 block and have it sitting in the car. The big question is, what is the angle of the engine and transmission sitting in the body of the car? I have the car level. I've cut the center of the crossmember out, hammered out the floor in numerous places and I have the engine and transmission sitting at 6* down. As I understand, this is the starting point to achieving the driveline angles as they are needed. Should the transmission go higher in the tunnel? I'm just looking for the most optimum angle of the transmission and engine so I only have to be do this one time correctly. Any help from one of you that have gone through this and have achieved success would be greatly appreciated.

Azmoparboy,
Steve

b5blue

Won't the axle to body height effect the angle also? Will the car be lowered?  :scratchchin:

AZMoparboy

Thanks d5blue,

Yes, that would come into play. I'm just wanting to have the very best starting point so that I can set the output shaft of the transmission in that position so that I can go either way, up or down. The service manual says that the output shaft can be moved up by installing 1/8" shims to achieve desired driveshaft angle. It also says that you should be careful not to shim it to much as it could strike the hump and floor board. I know that the service manual goes out the door when you start modifying the car so I know that someone has worked though this and I just wanted to reduce my frustration level by asking for some help. I also forgot to mention, that I am shooting for a factory ride height.

Steve

AZMoparboy

I did some trial and error experimenting with numerous combinations of engine and pinion angles. It took about a day to come up with an acceptable start to the angles of the engine and differential. As it stands now I have the engine at 2.8° down. The car is still not completely built so I thought that I would stop for now because I should not try to get it perfect at this time, but I do have it close. Thanks for your input, it did help.

cdr

Quote from: AZMoparboy on December 20, 2022, 04:08:10 PM
I did some trial and error experimenting with numerous combinations of engine and pinion angles. It took about a day to come up with an acceptable start to the angles of the engine and differential. As it stands now I have the engine at 2.8° down. The car is still not completely built so I thought that I would stop for now because I should not try to get it perfect at this time, but I do have it close. Thanks for your input, it did help.
Mine is 2.5 down, with 46rh, you should be good
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr