News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger 500 XX29J9B248663 -X9-C6X - lot 1464.1 Barrett Jackson January 21-29

Started by tan top, January 14, 2023, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

A13

Quote from: 69_500 on January 15, 2023, 08:53:23 AM
Hope it does better than it did here at Mecum in Indy last year.
What happened last year, what was the number, and was it sold or not?
What should it bring?

WINGIN IT

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 17 January 2023

BJ is big time here in Phoenix, it's their home. That's a beautiful 500 that's up.

If we can find the time we may pay BJ a visit, they are just up the highway from us.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

aerolith

Nice car and the next one on the line to mine (248662)!

But a column change would never be in my garage lol...

Even with a hemi and black is a mare to keep clean on our 'salt' gritted UK roads...DOH!

Aerolith
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               24 January 2023

That 500 looks smashing; if it had a nice set of slotted 16 inch mags with appropriate weenies wrapped around them it would look Extra Smashing. Sure would love to have that car.

It would do fine here in Phoenix; low humidity, little rain, snow is a rarity, only salt is in the shaker on the dinner table.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: v21hemicharger on January 28, 2023, 11:46:03 PM
Sold at $310k + fees

Hi v21hemicharger,                29 January 2023

Thanks for the info.

It did a lot better than at MECUM. It's one fine looking 500. If it were ours, we'd take the stripe off and put a nice set of 16" slotted mags on it then build a museum around it.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

Just so that people will remember in the future. This car yes has very low miles, because it was used to drag race from day 1. Car originally had a white tail stripe as well. The red stripe was put on the car when it was repainted. Car led a pretty hard life early on.

bannedbird

181 miles from day one?  And I thought that B5 Bird with 200 miles was the lowest (I'm sure there is a low mile thread on here someplace).
1/4 mile down wind, 1/4 mile back upwind, so 1/2 mile per pass.
181/0.5 (engineering school paying off here - LOL) = 362 runs.  Doesn't sound like too hard of a life.  Guessing more to the story.
No matter, that it is a very nice car.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

A13

More like one mile per pass, it has to go from the trailer to the staging lanes, make a 1/4 mile run, slow down and turn around and go back to the pit spot. 
These cars were cut up and modified when raced, few race cars if any were left all original.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                01 February 2023

When we decided to race our 68 Hemi RR, we made changes to the body that could be easily undone. The engine is another story so it will be rebuilt as close as possible to stock specs (HP) with high end racing components, meaning all internal engine components will be replaced. We will keep the original parts for posterity and in case we sell it, the buyer will receive those components along with the car.

The RR has 4405 miles on the clock so the body is in great shape. All the sound deadener was removed and the sheet metal was sprayed with Rust-Oleum red primer. Sound deadener can be reapplied over the primer. The good thing is this is added rust protection, as Chrysler did not provide these cars with rust protection when they were built. The RR has been stored 55 years, always inside.

What is the condition of the Black 500? Is the body stock or restored to stock? It's a beautiful car. Hopefully the new owner will take good care of it. We have a feeling anyone willing to pay big bucks for cars will take care of them.

Take Care
Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

Mopar John

Quote from: bannedbird on February 01, 2023, 08:46:34 PM
181 miles from day one?  And I thought that B5 Bird with 200 miles was the lowest (I'm sure there is a low mile thread on here someplace).
1/4 mile down wind, 1/4 mile back upwind, so 1/2 mile per pass.
181/0.5 (engineering school paying off here - LOL) = 362 runs.  Doesn't sound like too hard of a life.  Guessing more to the story.
No matter, that it is a very nice car.
Steve,
As a life long drag racer I have to correct your math on this one.
Down track 1/4 mile and then 1/4 mile shut down and then add same for way back is 1 mile per pass.
Depending on track lay out from pits to starting line and back maybe another 1/4 mile?
So if the 500 only shows 181 miles it wasn't raced much in it's early days!
MJ

70 sublime

Question Do drag racers that swap stuff around even worry about hooking speedometer back up ?  And if they but 4:11 gears in it and the rear end transmission is geared for 3:23 will screw up the math also  :icon_smile_wink:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tan top

might be thinking of another ,  think this C500 was  parked a long long time with out an engine,   & the hemi in it now is not the original matching numbers block,  
  i await to be corrected on anything  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

A13

Hemi engines modified for racing like high rpm.  So rear end gears like 4.88 and 5.13 were common.  The speedo was often disconnected and not used, wouldn't read right anyway.

Mopar John

I removed the speedometer cable and the gear/housing on the transmission and installed a freeze plug in the tail shaft.
This reduced the weight and just a bit of the drag on the drivetrain!
MJ

426HemiChick

Quote from: Mopar John on February 02, 2023, 03:21:09 PM
I removed the speedometer cable and the gear/housing on the transmission and installed a freeze plug in the tail shaft.
This reduced the weight and just a bit of the drag on the drivetrain!
MJ

Hi Mopar John,                 02 February 2023

Wished we'd thought of that. We probably could have "squozen" a few seconds out and added a couple "MPH'es" for good measure.

If the Charger 500 we are talking about is the one that is listed at the top of this thread, it says 426 Hemi, Matching Numbers, 181 Actual Miles. Haven't seen it in person, in the photos it looks gorgeous. That would be a great addition to anyone's collection if it stands up to close inspection.

Are we all talking about the same Charger 500 ???

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

69_500

engine stamp, and trans stamp

69_500

The back in the day pics were shot by my dad back in 1979 in Tomball Texas. Car originally had a white tail stripe. Rocker moulding have been added over the years. Tons of repro part in the engine compartment. Rear glass is a repop. The date stamp is dead center in the bottom of the glass.

I looked the car over very well when it was at mecum last year. yes the mileage is cool, and the color is great. And what is not to like about a HEMI aero car, but it is not in my opinion the Hemi 500 that should be setting the bar on the high end of values.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: A13 on February 02, 2023, 12:44:22 PM
Hemi engines modified for racing like high rpm.  So rear end gears like 4.88 and 5.13 were common.  The speedo was often disconnected and not used, wouldn't read right anyway.

I always thought the 4:88 or 5:13 type gears was to make up for the extra tall 32'' tall tires or slicks used on these type of cars. Which is a big difference over a factory 26" tall tire. :scratchchin: :shruggy:  The speedometer can be corrected by installing the proper speedometer gear to match rear gear. I think there is a formula used to factor in tire size. LEON.

bannedbird

John, yes, more than 1/2 mile.  Sorry.  I was trying to be conservative and do maximum runs.  And have a trailer at the staging lanes, LOL! 

I agree that maybe they disconnected the odometer.  As John said, that saves a lot of drag on the system!

As for numbers matching, a 70 charger recently got reunited with it's Hemi block.  So, not impossible if the engine had been sold back in the day. 

And what Hemi 500 would set the bar?  There was a beautiful white one at Midwest shows decades ago.  Think it had a lot of original papers with it.

Thx SB Steve
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

69_500

Quote from: bannedbird on February 02, 2023, 07:54:44 PM
John, yes, more than 1/2 mile.  Sorry.  I was trying to be conservative and do maximum runs.  And have a trailer at the staging lanes, LOL! 

I agree that maybe they disconnected the odometer.  As John said, that saves a lot of drag on the system!

As for numbers matching, a 70 charger recently got reunited with it's Hemi block.  So, not impossible if the engine had been sold back in the day. 

And what Hemi 500 would set the bar?  There was a beautiful white one at Midwest shows decades ago.  Think it had a lot of original papers with it.

Thx SB Steve

Personal opinion but I think that Hemi 500's that could set the bar for true high dollar marks are XX29J9B110610, XX29J9B239417, XX29J9B182114, XX29J9B210754. In those 4 cars you have 2 unrestored HEMI 500's, one being R4 4 speed, one X9 hemi auto. You also have a R6 hemi 4 speed car with tons of documentation, and the only known X9 hemi 4 speed 500. also very well documented.

I do have a personal list of cars and how I rank them based on originality and paperwork, and original sheet metal and the such. I would not put the black car from this auction in the top 15 cars as far as 500's that I have seen.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69_500 on February 02, 2023, 05:59:03 PM
same car back in the day

Hi 69_500,                 03 February 2023

Thanks for the verification and photos. It does look like it wasn't treated with kid gloves during it's early life. Its current appearance gives rise to the question of who did the restoration and what is the quality of the work? Does it have factory parts or aftermarket?

What we see in the photos looks very nice. Who did the restoration work will mean a lot. Since it has been sold, it remains to be seen where it goes in the next year or so.

We'd like to see it in person; unfortunately not possible at the moment. Too much body work in progress.

Thanks Again
Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 03, 2023, 05:07:13 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on February 02, 2023, 05:59:03 PM
same car back in the day

Hi 69_500,                 03 February 2023

Thanks for the verification and photos. It does look like it wasn't treated with kid gloves during it's early life. Its current appearance gives rise to the question of who did the restoration and what is the quality of the work? Does it have factory parts or aftermarket?

What we see in the photos looks very nice. Who did the restoration work will mean a lot. Since it has been sold, it remains to be seen where it goes in the next year or so.

We'd like to see it in person; unfortunately not possible at the moment. Too much body work in progress.

Thanks Again
Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

I would have to look back at my hand written notes from the 90's about who did the restoration. but it was at the time that Earl Gettelfinger owned the car. Later the car went to Denny Guest, then to Steve Fox. Last owner doesn't like his name listed online, and I have not yet narrowed down who bought it. Not yet, but I will.

there are a lot of aftermarket parts on the car, on the inside, and engine compartment. In my opinion the car is a nice driver car. Which it will not ever be driven, due to the mileage.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69_500 on February 03, 2023, 05:51:36 PM

I would have to look back at my hand written notes from the 90's about who did the restoration. but it was at the time that Earl Gettelfinger owned the car. Later the car went to Denny Guest, then to Steve Fox. Last owner doesn't like his name listed online, and I have not yet narrowed down who bought it. Not yet, but I will.

there are a lot of aftermarket parts on the car, on the inside, and engine compartment. In my opinion the car is a nice driver car. Which it will not ever be driven, due to the mileage.

Hi 69_500,                  04 February 2023

It's amazing what happens when you have an old car with so few miles on it. If you drive it, you are chipping away at its worth and uniqueness. Both of our Mopar's are low milage though not as low as the subject DC-500. Our Ford Mustang Police car is really low, 00003.1 on the clock.

Thanks for the info, we do appreciate it.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

Don't get me wrong, I drive my car though. Even though it had only accumulated 314 miles on it from 1974 until 2017, I hoped into the drivers seat and put 1,650 miles on it one weekend on the way to Talladega and back. Any other aero cars I buy in the future will also be driven and enjoyed.

tan top

Charger Stuff 

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69_500 on February 04, 2023, 01:29:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I drive my car though. Even though it had only accumulated 314 miles on it from 1974 until 2017, I hoped into the drivers seat and put 1,650 miles on it one weekend on the way to Talladega and back. Any other aero cars I buy in the future will also be driven and enjoyed.

Hi 69_500,                  04 February 2023

If you buy it, do whatever you want . . . . it's yours !!!

Our 000003.1 mile Stang will never be driven as long as we own it. Its value is the clock, never titled, licensed or driven on the highway.

We plan to put the two Mopar's back together. The Six-Pack will be put up for sale. It has 002681 on the clock. The Hemi RR will be put back together with a new 572 Hemi, new paint R4 red or maybe black, 2:73 rear, nice interior, mags, Discs on all fours. It'll be our Drive-in street racer. My goal is to be ticketed for doing 150+ on the AZ 202 when I'm 100, which by the way, ain't that far away.

Guess I better hangup, it's getting close to being tomorrow, it's 4 minutes away and I do need sleep.

Best always

426 Hemi Chicks

chargered

426HemiChick

Quote from: chargered on February 05, 2023, 09:47:11 AM
This Charger is defective.  Its missing a 3rd pedal.

Hi Charged,                 05 February 2023

Point well taken. We had a 70 Hemi Cuda 4-spd. Worst car we ever owned, drove and sold in less than 3 years. We do like the Black Charger 500 (the subject of this thread) with the missing third pedal. The biggest drawback is the super low miles. If we bought it we'd have to build a museum around it. Our 68 Hemi RR will be our fun "Driver."

We like the Chrysler 727 Torqueflite. Stock HP cars had a good transmission behind the 426 and 440. There were and are many mods available to make the 727 even better. A & A Transmission is a good place to start.

We have two Mustang 5-spd's and will soon have a new Shiny Racing Red 6-spd Stang. Dena prefers sticks, I prefer Auto. She does enjoy driving our Auto Hemi Ram PU; she drives it more than I do.

Take Care

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 06 February 2023

We were thinking about the subject DC 500. Since it has after market parts, its value has been established, subject to the whims of the market. Further changes/modifications, as long as they do not alter the basic body, engine and transmission shouldn't hurt the market value, may even enhance it. Nice factory style front bucket seats, Console, get rid of the tree, factory style floor shifter, discs on all four, Slotted 16" Mags with nice fat weenies as we mentioned in an earlier post, change the rear stripe to black, Remove the chrome rocker cover and blackout the bumpers by painting them without damaging the chrome.

The more stealth it looks, the better. Now we wait to see what the new owner does with it.

Time will tell.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks