News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To Port or Not to Port

Started by Dano 1, January 19, 2023, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I'm picking up a set of 452 head castings that the current owner had tuned up with a cleanup decking, 2.15/1.81 intake/exhaust valves with a 3-angle job, new guides etc. but no port work. My current 346 heads are pretty tired (pitted seats, loose guides etc.) so when these popped up for cheap I snagged them.

My question is, is it worth porting these to make better use of the bigger valves or will I not see enough gains on the street to justify the time or cost. I've never ported before but I'd consider doing a basic job myself. I imagine to have a shop do even a basic 'cleanup' or pocket port and gasket match would be pretty expensive even if the rest of the work has been done.

Current engine combo is a very mild 1971 440:

Stock pistons, rods, crank etc.
Melling MTD2 'rv' cam
Exhaust duration @0.050: 214
Exhaust lift: .443in
Intake duration @0.050: 204
Intake lift: .421in
Edelbrock CH4B intake
Holley 750 vacuum secondary
1-3/4" primary headers

The main reason I picked up these heads is because they were just 'gone through' and are cheap. The bigger valves were just gravy assuming I don't actually lose performance due to a drop in velocity. Thoughts? Thanks!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Canadian1968

If you have the tools to disassemble the heads, then I would go for it.  Even just some light bowl blending and casting clean up would compliment the bigger valves !

Mike DC

Agreed.  Don't pay somebody else to do it.  But if you want to do it yourself, those heads sound like a good case for it.  The lowest-hanging fruit is opening up a set of stock castings.  

Working on iron heads is slow & tedious, though.  Don't get too ambitious & perfectionist on the first cylinder - you gotta repeat that job 7 more times.