News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with '72 Rallye hood black out stencil.

Started by AKcharger, January 24, 2023, 11:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

So I'm T- Minus 1 week from paint only quandary I have is the hood stencil, how and when to do it?  
- My plan was put the stencil on a day or so after the clear is dry, then cut/buff the hood and the inside (blue..red in photo) stripes, but i'm going to also buff the semi-gloss black to "gloss" black like they did in photo
- If I cut/buff hood THEN put on stencil I fear the semi-gloss will not have anything to bite into...we'll if I do it right

I was thinking of Shooting "flat" black paint then when I cut buff hood it will turn "semi-gloss" think that would work??

Any suggestions appreciated

hemi-hampton

The question is very confusing, jumps all over the place, if your looking for a gloss black out just put that on before you clear the whole hood. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Kinda like I did on my Bengal Hood. No Stencil, all freehand. LEON.

AKcharger

Sorry about the confusion. I kinda figured it out.
- spray
- cut/buff
- apply stencil and scuff...the stencil tape should protect the non-scuff areas.

Leon - plan to go semi-gloss, what do you use for paint?? The hood is very impressive BTW!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on January 24, 2023, 11:46:18 AM
So I'm T- Minus 1 week from paint only quandary I have is the hood stencil, how and when to do it?  
- My plan was put the stencil on a day or so after the clear is dry, then cut/buff the hood and the inside (blue..red in photo) stripes, but i'm going to also buff the semi-gloss black to "gloss" black like they did in photo
- If I cut/buff hood THEN put on stencil I fear the semi-gloss will not have anything to bite into...we'll if I do it right

I was thinking of Shooting "flat" black paint then when I cut buff hood it will turn "semi-gloss" think that would work??

Any suggestions appreciated

Confused here where you say your going to buff the semi gloss to gloss but then you say your going to buff flat black to semi gloss? never heard of such a thing :scratchchin: :shruggy: :slap: Sounds like you need to shoot your body color, Is it B5 Blue base & then your going to Clear it? Do that, Rub, Scuff where you want to paint & paint semi gloss. All done, Ship it. LEON.

AKcharger

Lol...ok I'll clear it up.
- blackout area semi-gloss (originally organasol)
- plan now is base clear hood let cure then cut/buff
- apply stencil and scuff exposed area
- spray semi-gloss
- demask and done

So question now is what is best substitute for organasol

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on January 25, 2023, 08:19:27 PM
Lol...ok I'll clear it up.
- blackout area semi-gloss (originally organasol)
- plan now is base clear hood let cure then cut/buff
- apply stencil and scuff exposed area
- spray semi-gloss
- demask and done

So question now is what is best substitute for organasol

OK, You just said pretty much what I said. somebody in here had a newer method for imitation organisol. every time I've sprayed it I used the real thing. LEON.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125355.0.html

ACUDANUT

AKcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 26, 2023, 03:02:34 PM
They sell Decals for this.  :Twocents:

They do for the '71. If you have a source for hte '72 I'd love it! I called phoenix Graphic if they made one, said all the curved edges make it difficult so only stencil

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 25, 2023, 09:09:44 PM

OK, You just said pretty much what I said. somebody in here had a newer method for imitation organisol. every time I've sprayed it I used the real thing. LEON.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125355.0.html

Yeah, watched the videos, he did a LOT of work. but for a novice whose never done that, chance of messing it up are VERY high. if I can get something close I'd be happy

AKcharger

Well I WAS going to give that formula a try but seems two of those items are no longer available  :rotz:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: AKcharger on January 26, 2023, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 26, 2023, 03:02:34 PM
They sell Decals for this.  :Twocents:

They do for the '71. If you have a source for hte '72 I'd love it! I called phoenix Graphic if they made one, said all the curved edges make it difficult so only stencil

Same Decal for 72.

AKcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 27, 2023, 01:57:31 PM
Same Decal for 72.

I wish that was true, I think the '71 is "cleaner" but Nope, different '72 MUCH bigger and goes around the bulge hence why vinyl isn't an option, would wrinkel

Nacho-RT74

72/74 are not decals because the blackout on them reachs the lower area of the bulge, so a regular vinyl decal will wrinkle trying to folow the curvature. Hence why they are painted on them and decal just on 71 being just on top.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

AKcharger

Too late, I elected to go with a Satin Urethane single stage and hope I don't have to buff it, if I do it turns gloss...I tested it. Paint is almost done, have to cut/buff but it all laid down nice

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Thanks Sir! stencil is going on tomorrow, fingers crossed for no dust nibs!

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on February 09, 2023, 07:52:05 PM
SO, How'd the black out go :scratchchin: :shruggy:
Still in work, delay  will post pic when complete

Consequences of having someone else do it

hemi-hampton

hemi-hampton

b5blue

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on February 17, 2023, 10:11:47 AMThese things take time...

From the original post it sounded like, or the impression I got was he was doing the Black Out himself? Did he do the blue himself?