News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with '72 Rallye hood black out stencil.

Started by AKcharger, January 24, 2023, 11:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi guys, nope sorry, at work. The hood is done but haven't seen it yet, so will have to wait till Tuesday.
I had shop spray the car and the blackout. I was planning to rattle can the blackout myself but elected to go single stage urethane, so helped with stencil placement and let paint guy do it.
Stby for post and photos!

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

AKcharger

OK the long awaited results!

As you recall my 1st idea was cut/buff hood and blackout all at once to give color coat deep shine and black out a "satin" finish" ...Yeah that will not work. I tested the concept with a painted sheet topped with 1) Summit UP355Q Hot Rod Matte Black (left panel) Summit UP312Q Black Satin (right panel) and equal mixes of both for the center.
I rolled it on (hence awful texture) let it cure and taped off the top 1/4 for "before/after" and wet sanded to 2000 and buffed.

As you can see they all turned the same level of gloss...so I simply used the Black satin and hoped it would all laydown well with minor contaminants. As you can see turned out GREAT! even has an ever so slight amount of texture like the Organisol....I'm thinking this is about the closest you're gonna get.

One note - Dave my paint guy said after he laid on the Satin and it began to cure it had gray blotchy patches, he was concerned but HAD to get the stencil off before it adhered so just hoped for the best...next day, all good!

b5blue

hemi-hampton

Congrats, Looks good.  :2thumbs:  where'd you get the stencil?

AKcharger

Phoenix graphics, pretty sure they're the only ones that make them.

Thanks, excited to get it put it back together!