News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

small holes in trunk floor

Started by dkn1997, February 01, 2023, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I'm in the midst of an Efi swap and I'm doing the fuel system first.  pulled my original tank and am about to install a tanks, inc Efi tank. 

When I pulled the original '68 tank out, I noticed 2 things... first, my original trunk floor is in really good shape.  2nd, I said really good and not perfect.  there were a few spots that were lumpy.  Then I remembered a looonnnggg time ago, like late 90's, I had seen some small holes from the top.  At that time I used the POR 15 kit to patch/coat the floor. 

So.... What I saw recently was the underside of that repair.  while not technically a "correct" repair, it's held up for over 20 years and definitely not gotten any worse.  I sanded from the bottom and am left with a few small holes.  I really don't want to replace the trunk floor and when I post the pics, you will see why.  It's really good sans a few small spots.

Trying to get any of my buddies with welders over here to fill them in is difficult and I'm not sure how effective that will be... as in maybe trying to weld these up will make them worse.  Is it that wrong that I want to either epoxy or solder these small holes?  using the por15 kit 20 plus years ago only from one side lasted this long and did not get any worse. 

I know some would say "just rip the floor out and replace it" but I take some pride in the fact that this car is still wearing its original floors, rockers, quarters, and all are nearly perfect. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

right after I pulled the tank
RECHRGED

dkn1997

little grinding and cleaning
RECHRGED

dkn1997

ground down and threw a coat of paint on it till I decide what to do
RECHRGED

Dino

Mine is like that. The previous owner brushed it with something that looks like it velongs on a driveway but hey it's held up for 30 years! No issue at all sealing it up with an epoxy or mastic. Go for it. Use the tank pad insulation between tank and floor. I made one from toolbox liner years ago when I needed one quickly but I misplaced it. They're only like 20 bucks though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

dkn1997

I love it when people tell me what I want to hear lol!  I even have the fancy replacement correct tank pad...

I am going to try and solder it... seems more of the "right thing" than epoxy
RECHRGED

DownZero

Mix up a small batch of JB weld. Use like putty to fill the small holes.

dkn1997

In the end, that's what will probably happen. 
RECHRGED

RTSE440

will

I would mix up some  Bel Zona and try to dam it up there with painters tape.  :Twocents:

dkn1997

next question is what to do after.  I have a houndstooth pattern vinyl trunk mat and I hate the way it feels.  Was thinking of using bedrug or something similar to make softer more finished looking trunk.  Saw it on an episode of vice grip garage and I like the look of it and the soft texture.  might be able to do the whole trunk as a single piece.  would imagine it would have some sound deadening properties as well.
RECHRGED