News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 tail stripe

Started by cdr, July 15, 2012, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: Charger RT on July 24, 2012, 07:41:36 PM
It might be the picture look at the top of the picture the one picture the body is straight with the edge of the picture the other picture its not. It was tight on the right side of the car when I took the pictures last night.
Tim
Quote from: 36 Dodge Brothers on July 23, 2012, 09:42:21 PM
Quote from: Charger RT on July 23, 2012, 09:18:29 PM
My car has been in the family since 1980 and mine since 1985. The car has never been painted so I went out and took some stripe pictures. Both lower quarters have had a little work on the bottom edge. On the passenger side I taped off the remaining factory stripe to prevent damage to what was left. On the drivers side I rattle canned the lower end of the stripe back on the the fixed quarter. If you look for the cracks and chips in that stripe you can see the factory stripe goes pretty far down and only the bottom is paint. I only painted as little as possible. One day I'll fix the passenger stripe. If anyone wants more angles let me know and my son and I will shot it.
Tim

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does the drivers side look straighter than the passenger side?

Thanks Tim  but I was actually looking at the distance from the stripe to where the body is molded for the bumper. It might be the pictures but without actually measuring it we will never know. Look at the green lines I drew and I did invert the passenger side pic to better compare.
Marco
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Charger RT

I will try to take some more pictures this weekend with a ruler in it.
Tim

cdr

Quote from: Charger RT on July 25, 2012, 07:48:24 PM
I will try to take some more pictures this weekend with a ruler in it.
Tim
thank you mr tim
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger RT

We tried to get both tape measures straight but it was harder then we thought it would be. We did make sure the crappy tape measure was on the top on both sides so if the tapes have issues they are both the same on the sides. Funny thing is it took 44 years to see it crooked.

Tim

RECHRGD

I'm not sure of the process used on the assembly line to install the stripes.  Regardless, human hands were involved and I'm sure many placements are not identical to others.  I followed the bumper line and centered the the rear wide stripe over the side light hole.  Just looked right to me.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Dino

Look at the strip on 69's.  They have the marker light centered in the stripe.  Follow the line closest to the bumper to match your 68 stripe.  I hate the look of the stripe being parallel to the bumper cutout.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1BAD68

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 31, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
I followed the bumper line and centered the the rear wide stripe over the side light hole.  Just looked right to me.....

That's what I did and it looks right to me also

RECHRGD

Quote from: 1BAD68 on July 31, 2012, 05:49:19 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on July 31, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
I followed the bumper line and centered the the rear wide stripe over the side light hole.  Just looked right to me.....

That's what I did and it looks right to me also

Beautiful car.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
13.53 @ 105.32

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on July 21, 2012, 08:51:11 AM
To  V or not to V?

Personally I like the V, and it's going on my car regardless because I like it better :)

I think after looking at these and other pics that the original wasn't quite straight, but wasn't quite as kinked as some I've seen.   The kink looks better to me though :)

Now the question is... do the double stripes or a single 69/70 style?   Again, mine's a 383 car so neither one is correct.   I'm just putting what i want on there.

Do the later car kits come with the marker lights cut out or do you cut that yourself?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: Charger RT on July 29, 2012, 03:57:47 PM
We tried to get both tape measures straight but it was harder then we thought it would be. We did make sure the crappy tape measure was on the top on both sides so if the tapes have issues they are both the same on the sides. Funny thing is it took 44 years to see it crooked.
Tim

Thanks Tim!!
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Charger RT

Quote from: 36 Dodge Brothers on August 02, 2012, 01:24:26 PM
Quote from: Charger RT on July 29, 2012, 03:57:47 PM
Tim

Thanks Tim!!
your welcome.
Here are 2 pictures of my car we took when we shot the stripe pictures. Its not perfect but going down the road I think it looks great. The only spots touched up are both lower quarters a spot in front of the left rear wheel at the bottom and the top of the drivers fender. It was a PA car until I moved south in 02. I have the numbers matching 440 and 4 speed but have a 74 bottom end with 67 915 heads and 727 in it now.

cdr

thanx again TIM for all your trouble-----------charlie  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

markrt68

I'm confused guys.
My car is in for a paint job, the stripe on the deck is "v",  what is it supposed to be if it is like original, Straight?
Thanks

cdr

Quote from: markrt68 on February 09, 2023, 03:02:15 PM
I'm confused guys.
My car is in for a paint job, the stripe on the deck is "v",  what is it supposed to be if it is like original, Straight?
Thanks
it is a V

markrt68