News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2023 Aero Car National Meet in Cleveland

Started by pettybird, February 01, 2023, 10:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

2023 NATIONAL MEET INFO THREAD
Come one, come all to the aero car national meet in Cleveland Ohio!  Meet dates are July 18-22 (that's Wednesday through Saturday, and it's the week immediately after Carlisle Chrysler). 
The host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Mayfield.  It was just renovated two years ago, looks nice and has an oversize parking lot.  There's a 20 room block at the moment so if you're planning on coming, book early so that we can grab additional rooms if necessary.  Rate is $126/night with two breakfast tickets (there's a restaurant on site and it's normally $11.95 more).  Call 440-461-9200 and use the group code DAY for the rate.  Address is 780 Beta Dr, Mayfield, OH 44143, which is just at the eastern beltway of the city. 
Headline activities so far are trips to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and a tour of Stan Hywet Hall (the home of the founder of Goodyear).  The hall tickets are $25/each, group rate, and will need to be paid in advance.  Stan Hywet is around $15 and has a magnificent house and extremely nice gardens.  A preliminary head count would be handy to prepare them if we get a big crowd.  When I get a total I'll post a PayPal link or you could snail mail me a check like it's still the 20th century.

In addition we'll be going to the MAPS military aircraft museum on the trip back from Canton.  It's $10 and they have over 40 planes on hand.  We'll squeeze in a trip to my employer, Marshall Goldman Motor Sales, where we have around 100 exotic and luxury cars at any given time.  Tuesday night has our largest weekly local car show for those who arrive in time, and there's another small show in a cool small town square on Friday that's packed with restaurants and shops.  We can go to Whirlyball, which we did in Milwaukee last year--it's team dodgem cars with whiffle balls, jai alai sticks and basketball backboards to score against--it's a blast!

That covers three days, and final is still up in the air--if those planning to attend want to chime in that would be great.  We could spend the day in our museum circle area (we did this in 2011, too) where there's a freshly (as in last quarter) renovated car museum, a truly world class art museum, a really nice botanical garden, a natural history museum and more.  The other option would be to hit up some local speed part manufacturers and do some tours--we have DEI who makes heat shielding products, Flaming River steering systems, Weisco pistons and more in the area.  The auto museum has a restoration and storage facility we could get into and they have a bunch of quirky stuff packed to the rafters.  We could also break up and go different places--the James A Garfield presidential home is 15 minutes from the hotel, and shopping excursions can be arranged.  The Christmas Story house does tours and is really close to downtown, as are the remnants of a Baltimore and Ohio roundhouse that's the home of an antique rail restoration facility.  There's a -lot- to do here.  You could even catch one of our famously semiprofessional sports teams when the Guardians host the Phillies Friday and Saturday.

If you have any questions either ask here, send me a message or email me at charger4sp@gmail.com.

Impkidd

May I show up this year with just 'pictures' of my Superbird that's being restored? Some of these activities are near me.  :shruggy:

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Impkidd on February 05, 2023, 11:53:49 PMMay I show up this year with just 'pictures' of my Superbird that's being restored? Some of these activities are near me.  :shruggy:

ABSOLUTELY!  It's the best way to make connections and get references for your resto.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Talkiemoparjr

I do believe all the blocked rooms have been booked.

pettybird

A couple more rooms were added.  If you're thinking of going, book now!  If you get locked out, drop me a message and I can recommend a couple places close.

Dave Kanofsky

Booked my room today, wanted a 2 queen room for the 3 of us, only had a king available.  My bad for taking so long to call, glad I got something!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

1970Moparmann

Just made my reservation. :2thumbs:    @Dave, the car will officially be on the road after 10 years!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 24, 2023, 02:14:15 PMJust made my reservation. :2thumbs:    @Dave, the car will officially be on the road after 10 years!

AWESOME!!!  Congrat's!  :cheers:  :drool5:  :2thumbs:

70Sbird

Hotel is booked, looking forward to the trip and seeing everyone!

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

Here's the latest and most likely last 2023 National Meet itinerary. Printed copies will be handed out at the hotel.

Departures are from the Holiday Inn at 780 Beta Dr, Mayfield, OH 44143.

WEDNESDAY:
Depart hotel at 9:30 for MAPS, Military Air Preservation society, 2260 International Pkwy, North Canton, OH 44720. We will park on the tarmac out front. Spend roughly 1.5 hrs before heading to lunch. Group rate is $10 admission paid directly to them, military and child discounts also available.
Lunch at Swenson's Drive In, 5815 Wales Ave NW, Massillon, OH 44646. Note that there are multiple locations—last time the meet was here there was only one restaurant and now there are over a dozen. Carhop style burger and fries place, so plan on eating in your car or in your lawn chairs. The food is excellent but if you want something else, continue by GPS to the football hall and you'll pass a couple dozen restaurants.
Pro Football Hall of Fame, 2121 George Halas Dr NW, Canton, OH 44708. Group admission is $25 paid to me ahead of time or it's $41.50 at the door. Be here until about 5, or see us for alternate ideas. In fact, you may just choose to spend time at the next stop, a 55 acre winery, restaurant and hotel campus.
Car show at Gervasi Vinyard, 1700 55th St NE, Canton, OH 44721. This is a weekly car cruise with a band and discounted food. The place is impressive—you could spend an hour walking around to the various buildings. Show ends at 8, leave as you'd like to go back to the hotel.

THURSDAY:
Depart hotel at around 9:30 for Marshall Goldman Motor Sales, 24661 Miles Rd, Warrensville Heights OH 44128. There are around 100 exotic and luxury cars on display, plan on an hour or so to look around.
Leave for the Midwest Rail Preservation Society, 2800 W 3rd St, Cleveland, OH 44113. These are the remnants of an old Baltimore and Ohio roundhouse where restoration work takes place, and there are a number of rail cars outside to poke around. Admission is $10 at the door.
Lunch is at Shooters on the Water, 1148 Main Ave, Cleveland, OH 44113. This was a cornerstone of the Cleveland Flats becoming a place to see and be seen, and is on the river with views of both water and train traffic.
Afternoon is at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 1100 E 9th St, Cleveland, OH 44114. Parking is next door at the Great Lakes Science Center (metered by time, approx. $10-13 per car). This is their late day and they're open until 8. There's a café with food and drinks in case you need a snack. Group admission is $25 ($10 off) and needs to be paid for before you get there—group rate tickets are purchased in batches of 16 or more. See me for this as well.

FRIDAY:
Depart hotel around 9 for ASM International, 9639 Kinsman Rd, Novelty, OH 44072,for a quick photo and lookaround. It's a building with a 200' diameter open lattice dome that's on the National Register for Historic Places. The building is closed to the public but a peek through the windows shows it's a time capsule with awesome furnishings. There are gardens under the dome to look at. We'll line up and I'll take pics of the cars to keep the line moving—if you want pics on your own camera or phone have them handy. This is a quick stop, hopefully 30-45 minutes tops.
Head to the Crawford Auto Aviation museum storage and restoration facility, 7950 Empire Parkway, Macedonia, OH 44056. This is where restoration work takes place along with storage for various off-display items.
Next is another QUICK stop for a photo at MD Garage, 1556 Boston Mills Rd, Peninsula, OH 44264. This is an old 1940's service station with a restored exterior that's now a part-time art gallery. There's no real parking around it for a large group so we'll be using a staging area.
Lunch is at the Winking Lizard, 1615 Main St, Peninsula, OH 44264. It's a Northeast Ohio chain that has good burgers, wings and salads. Lots of beer on tap. Parking is tight as the lot has a strange shape but we'll be fine—lunch isn't very busy there and they're supposed to staff up for us.
Afternoon is at Stan Hywet Hall, 714 N Portage Path, Akron, OH 44303. Tour time is set for 2:45, so if we're early we can spend time in the vast gardens or the greenhouses. Group admission is $16, and I have reservations for 40 but more can be added.
Optional trip to Summit Racing Equipment, 1200 Southeast Ave, Tallmadge, OH 44278, about 20 minutes away.

SATURDAY:
Depart hotel at around 10 for Lake View Cemetery, 12316 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106. Self guided, drive through tour, getting out of your car as you wish. The president Garfield memorial, John D Rockefeller and Elliott Ness markers and the Haserot angel are highlights.
Lunch is at Gallucci's Italian Foods & Market, 6610 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44103. It's a Cleveland institution that's been in business for over 100 years. Family owned Italian grocery store with a small deli counter with sandwiches, pizza by the slice and lots of bakery and desserts. You'll pass some of the sprawling Cleveland Clinic campus on both sides of the street.
Depart for Wade Park Oval, our main museum area. You're aiming to park underground at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44106. Pop up and find the Crawford Auto Aviation museum, the botanical garden, the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum. The art museum is free while the others have individual entry fees. Auto museum is $15 with multiple discounts available. Botanical garden with really nice greenhouses is $19, natural history is $10.

Dave Kanofsky

A great time was had by all that attended (at least I hope so!)
Endless thanks to pettybird and all who helped put on this terrific event!

moparstuart

sorry i missed all you guys  , just wasnt in the cards this year 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE