News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uhm. Shouldn't this be level?

Started by Dino, February 04, 2023, 03:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I placed the Pro Flo 4 intake on the engine and the air cleaner on top and noticed the engine is not level. I removed the air cleaner and laid a straight edge on the throttle body and it's off quite a bit. What the heck?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

They should be new. I dropped the engine in 7 years ago. I never got beyond mounting the stock intake and had no idea it was off.

b5blue

Loosen all the bolts and see if it will shift?  :scratchchin:

Dino

birdsandbees

Yep, loosen the mount bolts in the K frame and lift to take the load off and twist..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Dino

I totally forgot about this until today when I was under the car. I looked towards the back and saw the transmission pan was not parallel to the crossmember, at all. Then I remembered we had a hell of a time getting the bolts to line up with the new rubber mount on the tail shaft. I put a stand under the tail and removed the crossmember. Next up is loosening motor mounts at the k member and see if I can straighten it out with the engine hoist. Now I don't remember where I got the trans mount, but it's obviously not a good one. Which one do you guys use?

Dino

Another question. I loosened the engine mount to K member bolts.  Hooked the chain to the driver side of the engine, which sits too low, and gave the lift a few pumps. The engine came up a bit, and although I'm not positive it's where it needs to be, it looks a whole lot better. Now when I release the lift the engine drops back to where it was, so how can I make sure the passenger side is at its lowest before I tighten everything down?

Dino

Ok so I lifted the driver side, and pulled down the passenger side with a strap. It's way more level than before, but it's not perfect. Should it be? 20230527_181216.jpg

Dino

Ok so it helps when I actually bolt the intake manifold down.  :lol: 20230527_181927.jpg20230527_181842.jpg 

Dino

Yeah I was surprised how much it moved. Makes sense now why it was a hassle to get the trans crossmember to fit.  :lol:
Once the engine was straight, everything fit into place.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Dino on May 27, 2023, 02:40:40 PMI totally forgot about this until today when I was under the car. I looked towards the back and saw the transmission pan was not parallel to the crossmember, at all. Then I remembered we had a hell of a time getting the bolts to line up with the new rubber mount on the tail shaft....

I remember this. I also remember the car not being very high in the air creating a tight space to crawl under. Probably why we could get a good eyeball on the alignment issue.
I may have a similar issue as my trans tail shaft is not centered in the tunnel like it should be. Already tried loosening the engine mount to k frame bolts (helped but still not right) but didn't think to loosen the k frame bolts, Duh!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on May 28, 2023, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Dino on May 27, 2023, 02:40:40 PMI totally forgot about this until today when I was under the car. I looked towards the back and saw the transmission pan was not parallel to the crossmember, at all. Then I remembered we had a hell of a time getting the bolts to line up with the new rubber mount on the tail shaft....

I remember this. I also remember the car not being very high in the air creating a tight space to crawl under. Probably why we could get a good eyeball on the alignment issue.
I may have a similar issue as my trans tail shaft is not centered in the tunnel like it should be. Already tried loosening the engine mount to k frame bolts (helped but still not right) but didn't think to loosen the k frame bolts, Duh!

That's right, we didn't have ideal circumstances. If you need help with yours let me know. I'm off for a week starting Saturday.

71 SE3834V

Fix mine, Ha! That's a good one there. I haven't even gotten the car out this year although I did have to move it out to get to one of my boats I sold. But the car went right back in the backyard. Life's been kicking my butt lately with other issues to deal with mainly repairs on my Ram. A lot of changes around here since we last wrenched together.
Where are you at nowadays? Talk to you sometime....
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on June 03, 2023, 09:10:31 AMFix mine, Ha! That's a good one there. I haven't even gotten the car out this year although I did have to move it out to get to one of my boats I sold. But the car went right back in the backyard. Life's been kicking my butt lately with other issues to deal with mainly repairs on my Ram. A lot of changes around here since we last wrenched together.
Where are you at nowadays? Talk to you sometime....

Sorry to hear you're getting your butt kicked. If you need help with anything, just say the word. I'm in Jackson now, just outside of the city. You're more than welcome to come by. I'm off this week and hope on firing up the engine for the first time since we pulled it out of the car!