News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sniper EFI Install, 440/68 charger

Started by dkn1997, February 09, 2023, 11:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I'm in the midst of installing a Sniper Efi on my 68 charger. '71 440 rebuilt many moons ago.  10:1, MP .474 cam, performer RPM, demon 750, stock HP manifolds

I've got other threads going since I took it out of hibernation in December.  Short story is the car didn't get driven in 8 years.  Got it running and driving again with plans for Efi.  while tooling around the neighborhood with the carb, it quit on me.  I already had most of the stuff for the Efi project so that's what started the ball rolling.  turns out all the crap sitting in the OE 1968 tank got stirred up and clogged the sending unit sock. 

I've already installed a tanks, inc Efi ready charger tank with 255Lph pump Ordered 2 new 3/8" stock fuel lines inline tube. using one for supply, one for return. 

I also bought a sniper efi, hyperspark ignition with the corresponding holley coil and ign box.  This will be replaceing the 750 mighty demon, FBO stock type electronic ign box, and blaster 2 coil. 

I've been through this car in the 25 plus years I've owned it and have gone from "just gotta make it work" to "I want it to work and look ok too.  I spent almost a whole day removing all the wiring I added over the years for electronic ign, elec fan temp sender, alternator wiring, etc... I' now have the pass side of the engine bay clean of wiring except for horns, wiper washer pump, alternator... making sure to keep track of my "12v crank" and "12v key on" 
Years ago, I also added 5 relays.  one each for hi and low beams, one each for elec fans, and one for fuel pump.  I did a nice job with those so that wiring is staying. 

With the sniper and hyperspark stuff, I feel like the best part is the end user only has to wire a few wires.  I'll be using it to trigger the aforementioned relays for fans and fuel pump. 

I'll attach a few pics of the start of the actual install as I go but I'll also start off with a question:

I've read that TBI efi can have performance issues with dual plane intakes.  I currently have an edelbrock performer RPM.  I've also read that you can cut down the divider to remedy this.  Since hood clearance has always been a problem, I figured i'd order a holley street dominator to solve this potential efi issue and gain some hood clearance. 
Then I removed the demon and it looks like the divider is already cut down and the sniper throttle body is maybe 1/2" shorter than the carb.
Now I'm questioning whether or not I have to change this intake.  Since Jegs was backordered, the new intake isn't here yet but scheduled to ship tomorrow so I have a day to cancel it without dealing with hassle of returning it.

for any of you 440 sniper guys, what woold you do?
RECHRGED

will

I didn't go with Sniper. I have a fitech setup and as far as the in tank deal i used the corvette regulator. Easy to pipe the hoses right by the tank so you're not running two fuel lines. It regulates to 58 psi.

dkn1997

After a lot of questions and a lot of work, I was able to bring the thunder!

https://youtu.be/t1ndQPUN6Bc
RECHRGED