News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SMF Upgrade

Started by 426HemiChick, June 28, 2022, 12:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hi Admin,            28 June 2022

Have you considered upgrading your SMF software to their latest version? It sure is a nice package.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 28, 2022, 12:46:39 PM

Have you considered upgrading your SMF software to their latest version? It sure is a nice package.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Only my opinion. 

If it cost money and I was Troy, this place would stay as is.
People hate change plus hes floated this place for years not taking advertisement money.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 25, 2022, 04:18:51 PM
Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 28, 2022, 12:46:39 PM

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Only my opinion. 

If it cost money and I was Troy, this place would stay as is.
People hate change plus hes floated this place for years not taking advertisement money.

Hi 472 R/T SE,                 27 August 2022

We have a site and use the newest version of SMF. It's free but does take a bit of work to get it converted over. If there are no issues, then leave it alone. You are correct, folks don't like change and I'm one of them. The new package is nicer, lot more options for the user.

There's an old saying that's on the money: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Take Care 472

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Troy

Yeah, SMF is free for all versions (as far as I know) but it's a pain to upgrade and therefore takes a lot more time (my time) than it really should. I upgrade software for billion dollar companies and it's less effort.  :P The last upgrade I did here was moving us to a better server platform and upgrading the underlying software but I didn't touch the forum or data/pictures. Since then life has been crazy and I didn't want to get partially through testing an upgrade then stepping away for months.

Full disclosure: the upgrade honestly seems to work but there's a weird issue with the FTP process that it uses to download the new packages where it loses the connection details midstream then fails. If I run minor revision individually it works but we're like 47 versions behind.  :rofl:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

426HemiChick

Hi Troy,           18 February 2023

Thanks for the Upgrade. I know it took a bit of time and a lot of work but IMHO, it was worth it, it sure looks great and a lot more features.

Thanks Again
Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

Troy

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 16, 2023, 02:54:35 AMHi Troy,           18 February 2023

Thanks for the Upgrade. I know it took a bit of time and a lot of work but IMHO, it was worth it, it sure looks great and a lot more features.

Thanks Again

It was worth it for who? It took 5 days and I didn't get paid a penny.  :smilielol:

It is nicer. However, the code behind this thing is like my "Top Ten List of Stuff to Never Do When Programming". Part of that is if you create a brand new forum and upgrade an old forum then compare, they are not the same. If I didn't know what I was looking at the whole thing would have failed permanently. When it breaks it doesn't throw an error, it just hangs indefinitely or crashes something. Most of the errors were related to the sheer size of the site and the process would run out of memory or truncate text string. I had to eventually run the whole process through a debugger then fix each error in real time. For 97% or more of the sites running the software I doubt they'd ever notice. SMF gave me access to their special forum dedicated to high traffic/large installations years ago. I probably should have checked there before I started.

Maybe when I upgrade again in 10 years we'll all have quantum computers - or the AI will do it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Troy on February 16, 2023, 06:58:36 PMIt was worth it for who? It rook 5 days and I didn't get paid a penny.  :smilielol:

It is nicer. However, the code behind this thing is like my "Top Ten List of Stuff to Never Do When Programming". Part of that is if you create a brand new forum and upgrade an old forum then compare, they are not the same. If I didn't know what I was looking at the whole thing would have failed permanently. When it breaks it doesn't throw an error, it just hangs indefinitely or crashes something. Most of the errors were related to the sheer size of the site and the process would run out of memory or truncate text string. I had to eventually run the whole process through a debugger then fix each error in real time. For 97% or more of the sites running the software I doubt they'd ever notice. SMF gave me access to their special forum dedicated to high traffic/large installations years ago. I probably should have checked there before I started.

Maybe when I upgrade again in 10 years we'll all have quantum computers - or the AI will do it.

Troy

Hi Troy,          18 February 2023

We'll stick around for the next upgrade. Let me see, I should be 93 then, only seven away from 100.

Thanks again for all the hard work. It looks and is great.

Best Always