News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger has backfire out of driver's side tailpipe - mechanic stumped

Started by matchek, February 23, 2023, 09:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matchek

Hi, I have a 1970 Dodge Charger that has a backfire coming out of the drivers side tail pipe.   My mechanic is stumped.   Any ideas of what it most likely is.  I know it can be a lot of things.  When I give it gas , a loud bang comes out of the drives side tail pipe.
1970 Dodge Charger with 1972 440 engine

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

Your mechanic is an idiot.
These cars are simple if you have experience with internal combustion engines.

cdr

if its not an internal problem, The 1st thing that will cause that is fouled  spark plugs, ign plug wires firing order wrong, ign wires bad, dist cap cracked
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kent

Process of elimination. I would start with firing order. Then move on to wires and plugs. Certainly in the timing.   
Kent

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Back N Black

Popping in exhaust, raw fuel and oxygen passing through through the engine and lighting off in the exhaust, misfire. I would start with a compression test before replacing any parts or adjusting timing or carb.
I had the same issue, did all the above and the last check I did was compression test. Number 2 cylinder was dead no compression, dumping fuel and causing backfire.

BadA55charger

I recommend also doing a quick visual inspection....pull off the valve cover on that side and inspect the exhaust valvespring for breakage.  I had a dual spring that broke the outer spring clean.  The inner lighter spring was fine and it popped out the exhaust on that cylinder. 

A quick on car replacement, and it was back up running great.