News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 starter

Started by boardog, March 02, 2023, 10:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boardog

I am having starter isdues. 1972 charger that was a 318 auto car that now has a 440 with a brewers 4 speed conversion. I bought a starter for a 72 440 4 speed car and put it in. When cranking the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel. I removed it and have measured the nose and it is the correct length. I am at work now and will bench test it when i get home tonight. I went to the store i purchased it from and it appears to be the correct one going back to 1970. Is there different starters i should be looking at?i have reached out to brewers but have not gotten a call back yet.

b5blue

Exchange the starter motor, bad rebuild.

70 sublime

Any chance you have the bigger bell housing for 11" flywheel but have a 10 1/2" flywheel ?
Or an aftermarket scatter sheild set up with the two differnt settings to mount the starter ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

boardog

I purchased a complete 4 speed set up from brewers. It should have been matched up.

Back N Black

Sounds like starter solenoid not working. When you bench test you should see the gear move in and out.