News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turning a 2000 Mercury into a General Lee

Started by Drache, March 05, 2023, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Northeast Ohio Dukes turns a 2000 Mercury into a '69 Charger StuntLee.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

b5blue

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparguy01

I am very tempted to do this. It would be a half way affordable 69 charger that rides nice enough to be a daily driver.

Kern Dog

These Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis to Charger projects result in doors that don't open and really nothing more than a Charger skin over a Ford body.
The windows don't go up and down. There are no door panels, headliner, floor shifter or the traditional Charger interior.
For a stunt car, this is great. It looks the part from a distance but for a driver?
No.

JimShine

The Dukes of Hazzard is steeped in make believe. As Charger values rise, there is a faction of fans out there that have no problem driving a make believe Charger. They don't want to open the doors anyway.

There used to be a segment that bought absolutely rotted shells and accumulating parts thinking they would restore the cars themselves, only giving up after they realized they were in over their heads. I think this will be the next generation. They can absolutely botch the work and cover it up with some bondo. What will be scary as shit is seeing these things on the road.

Mike DC

Meh.  If you have the tools & brains & money to build one of these CV conversions then you probably won't make it too unsafe. 

Those conversions are only cheap if you start off with a fabrication shop and a yard full of Charger parts.  They are only easy compared to restoring a real Charger.  Cutting off most of a CV, building a big custom rollcage, mounting $10k worth of repro metal and glass . . . it's not a small project.

Besides, where is the bar for unsafe classic cars?  I've seen too many $100k restored cars with mal-adjusted brakes, seat belts mounted dangerously, floor/body welds you could knock apart with a hammer, electric fuel pumps hanging down under the chassis . . . At least these CV Generals keep the lower half of the CV donor car intact.       

Kern Dog

I find it amazing that this idea was discovered.
I'd love to know the backstory on the first person to do this. It must have been a matter of learning that the wheelbase was close and then add in some beer, a few dares from your buddies, maybe a couple of UNrestorable Chargers to use for parts and BOOM...Stunt car!

marshallfry01

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 29, 2023, 01:22:42 AMI find it amazing that this idea was discovered.
I'd love to know the backstory on the first person to do this. It must have been a matter of learning that the wheelbase was close and then add in some beer, a few dares from your buddies, maybe a couple of UNrestorable Chargers to use for parts and BOOM...Stunt car!

James Smith built the first one. He's a huge Dukes fan and does really good restoration work on real chargers. He's built like 30 Generals. Smith brothers is the business name I think. There's a YouTube video of him talking about building the first Vic Lee.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.