News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need for prop valve with all discs?

Started by Dino, March 11, 2023, 06:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I am test fitting brake parts. Hydroboost with Wilwood disc/disc master with 1.125" bore. Mustang rotors and calipers front and rear. Stock distribution block. Do I still need a proportioning valve with this setup? If I do I would like to get the Wilwood valve that installs onto the master, but I don't have room between the master and inner fender unless I find a different mounting plate for the booster to raise it up Tallon seems to be out of business and I'm not sure anyone else has them. Thoughts?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

Maybe.
4 wheel drum systems as delivered were designed with wheel cylinders and brake shoe sizing to have what some refer to as "natural proportioning".
A 4 wheel disc system that most of us piece together may or may not be assembled with the proper sizing of components to achieve slight front wheel lock before the rear will skid.
Andy Finkbeiner wrote that the goal by most automakers in regards to 4 wheel disc setups is a 2 to 1 ratio where the front brakes assume double the brake force as the rear. I took this to mean that the front caliper sizing should be double of the rear IF the rotors are the same size.
This gets complicated since we are at the mercy of what parts are available.
I have the Dr Diff 13" Ford based front brakes along with the 11.7" rear disc kit, also Ford based.
My front calipers have 2 pistons sized 1.59" each. The rear is a single 1.5" piston. That is about as close to 2 to 1 as I can get.
I tried a hydroboost setup but couldn't get the HB to build pressure. I went back to a power boosted setup.

Dino

Ok that makes sense. I'll see if I can squeeze in a prop valve to be on the safe side. Thanks KD!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.