News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pilot Bushing-Bearing Question

Started by A383Wing, March 14, 2023, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

It's time to change the clutch in the 66 Charger....the crankshaft in the engine is from an automatic car originally. I have had to also cut a little off the end of the input shaft because the crank is not drilled deep or large enough for a manual transmission. I have been using the special cut-down pilot brass bushing for years and have had issues with it every time.

Has anyone used this pilot bearing to take the place of the bronze OE style bushing?

Good or bad?

Bryan

60sixside.jpg

s-l1600.jpg 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on March 14, 2023, 02:09:39 PMI have been using the special cut-down pilot brass bushing for years and have had issues with it every time.

What kind of issues? Premature wear? Was the bellhousing correctly dialed in?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GreenMachine

They work on modern cars, I can't see why they won't work just as well on older cars too. I'd try the sealed bearing in this link, the grease in those rollers can go away easier I'd think.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=FC69907

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

metallicareload99

I've put over 83,000 miles on the type shown above. A sealed bearing sounds good, but I've never had a problem. The needle bearing does have a small seal on it tho :drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth