News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lifter question

Started by Dino, March 19, 2023, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have the Topline Johnson lifters and before I installed them I primed them with oil. That however was 8 years ago because life got in the way. The engine was never fired up. Should I prime them again or am I good? While installing the rocker shaft obviously some lifters are up and putting more pressure on the push rods but it is making me a bit nervous how much pressure it really is. Is there a specific rotation the cam needs to be in before  I tighten the bolts starting in the center?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Go to "Hughes Engines" and check out their recommended "Cam break in procedure", it's what I'll use as a reference. (A good read.)  :2thumbs: 

Mopar Nut

You should prime your oil pump too.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

Quote from: Mopar Nut on March 19, 2023, 10:54:59 PMYou should prime your oil pump too.

I will. Just doing some assembly and mocking up the Pro Flo. Once that's done I'll prime, replace the valley pan, and install the efi and valve covers. I'll then prime again right before I drop the distributor in and fire it up. Which reminds me, I need to get more assembly lube and break in oil.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.