News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Patina, has it run its course?

Started by Back N Black, March 24, 2023, 10:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Is patina just a passing fad with an appealing name? I appreciate a survivor vehicle with its original faded paint, minor dents, and no major mechanical issues. But there seems to be a broad brush with regards to one car guys idea of patina and another car guys idea of a rust bucket. Undesirable 4 door grocery getters with patina are selling for big bucks. Fake patina I don't like it. I accompanied a friend last week to look at a chevy square body, the truck was nice, and he was asking 20k, paint was decent except he has scuffed it in arears to give it the patina look, I told him it need 10K to paint it, he said this is what people want, my friend did not buy it. The whole point of patina is the vehicle's history and they have lost site of the concept by trying to invent their own. To me it has run its course because people have lost the meaning and it is overdone.

b5blue

Real patina draws out flippers who bug the crap out of me with low ball offers. 10 years ago I did a half assed paint job and it dropped the flippers mostly. Shiny rust and fake anything never appealed to me. 

RallyeMike

Some people have always dug original, worn, flawed, or low buck cars, and always will. That's not a fad and it's not going away. 

When people apply fake patina paint, clear coat rust, etc., that is where it crosses into a fad and people lose interest...
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

This is on par with chicks that wear shredded pants. What the heck is THAT all about? Either wear nice pants or just take the pants off.
Fake wear and damage?   :slap:
Actual wear and tear?   :2thumbs:

Pinballjim

I've always like seeing a sweaty car sitting in a garage or barn.   I wouldn't want to own a car in that condition but it still makes me smile when I see one.  A perfectly restored car is impressive to see but is it REALLY useable?  The first chip on that beautiful paint and it's no longer perfect.  Most of my cars are not perfect, but they aren't rusty, dented or junk either.  The beauty of a car that is not perfect is that it can be driven without guilt.  I find comfort in that.  A neat old car (it doesn't matter what it is) that can be driven and enjoyed is just my "size". 

I had a hot rod built about 12 years ago (a 1930 Ford Model A coupe).  It was supposed to be a traditional rat rod.  One that can be driven and enjoyed.  Instead, it ended up a "Show Poodle" (that term makes me laugh).  I'm afraid to drive it anywhere besides on and off an enclosed trailer.  It's fenderless and if it kicks up a stone (which it did, once) it will damage the paint.  I drove it, chipped the paint, had the paint repaired and now it sits in the garage.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy looking at the car and even taking it to a show once in a while, but I'm not going to risk damaging it again.  What I enjoy even more is driving my cars that are NOT perfect to and from cruise nights and shows and even on a Sunday afternoon just for fun.

I think the beauty of this hobby is there is room for everyone to enjoy it on their specific level.  From the guy who has very deep pockets and can drive a perfect car and not feel guilty, to the guy who buys an entry level car for him and his family to enjoy. 

Long live the cars from yesteryear !!!!