News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Black Ghost

Started by CFMopar, April 01, 2023, 06:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

�I covered the story of the Black Ghost in my latest youtube video. If true, its a pretty cool story. Will be interesting to see what it will bring at auction given that it needs a fair bit of work. Who's had the chance to see it in person?

https://youtu.be/1OQqjqYigKE
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

426HemiChick

Hi CFMopar,            01 April 2023

Thanks for the link. What a neat historical.

When is the MECUM Indy auction?

Thanks Again
Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

DownZero

It's at the ongoing Mecum auction now on display. Strange thing is that it always seems to have a LEO standing by it the entire time.

Mytur Binsdirti

moparstuart

I have no dog in the fight but most of the old time races from Detroit and anywhere in michigan say the story is not true and all made up .  No one ever remembers seeing the car out racing its all hype and story to sell the car for bigger money then its actually worth .      :Twocents:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi-hampton

Wonder if the famous Silver Bullet ever raced him? LEON.

4cruzin

I saw the car at the Detroit Autorama and talked to the owner and he seemed to think it will bring north of $700K.  Interesting car but I would not give anywhere near that amount!  :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

1970Moparmann

Quote from: moparstuart on April 03, 2023, 12:22:59 PMI have no dog in the fight but most of the old time races from Detroit and anywhere in michigan say the story is not true and all made up .  No one ever remembers seeing the car out racing its all hype and story to sell the car for bigger money then its actually worth .      :Twocents:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:

Interesting.   Anyone from Detroit have any input? :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparstuart

Quote from: 4cruzin on April 04, 2023, 10:28:34 AMI saw the car at the Detroit Autorama and talked to the owner and he seemed to think it will bring north of $700K.  Interesting car but I would not give anywhere near that amount!  :shruggy:
saw the car in person at Mcacn and its a cool car  but pretty rough  and if the racing stories are not true  700k is crazy 

Q5XX29

I don't doubt this car probably had a few skirmishes out there on the street back in the day, and like so often happens, a little bit of truth gets romanticized over the years and now the car is suddenly a "legend". Also typical of these times, once the lie gets repeated often enough, most people just blindly accept it as the gospel truth.

As far as value, not that I would pay it, but I wouldn't doubt AT ALL that this car gets high six figures, maybe even low seven figures. Now that Dodge is making an actual "Black Ghost" tribute Challenger, it really legitimizes the cars place in history (deserved or not), and I am sure somebody out there with way too much money will pay handsomely to have their matching 2023 Black Ghost and 1970 Black Ghost.  Could be wrong. We shall see.
dakota_gt on Instagram

hemi-hampton

Quote from: moparstuart on April 04, 2023, 04:49:48 PM
Quote from: 4cruzin on April 04, 2023, 10:28:34 AMI saw the car at the Detroit Autorama and talked to the owner and he seemed to think it will bring north of $700K.  Interesting car but I would not give anywhere near that amount!  :shruggy:
saw the car in person at Mcacn and its a cool car  but pretty rough  and if the racing stories are not true  700k is crazy

SO, Are you saying if the Stories are true then it would be worth the 700k?

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 04, 2023, 11:04:25 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 04, 2023, 04:49:48 PM

SO, Are you saying if the Stories are true then it would be worth the 700k?
i dont think so , but we shall see what the market will pay . 

Todd Wilson

If I win the big lottery in the next few weeks I will buy it!

Todd

1970Moparmann

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 09, 2023, 10:34:15 AMHmm... Just found this for $350k.   It's a Mr. Norms car also! https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1970/dodge/challenger/101659880

I don't like the wrong cheap hardware store pop rivets holding on the Vin Tag. far from a showcar high quality Restoration. :scratchchin:  :shruggy:  Leon.

Plus, every body knows a Triple Black Car is worth twice as much as a Triple Green Car.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 09, 2023, 05:14:48 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 09, 2023, 10:34:15 AMHmm... Just found this for $350k.  It's a Mr. Norms car also! https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1970/dodge/challenger/101659880
I don't like the wrong cheap hardware store pop rivets holding on the Vin Tag. far from a showcar high quality Restoration. :scratchchin:  :shruggy:  Leon.

Plus, every body knows a Triple Black Car is worth twice as much as a Triple Green Car.

Hi Folks,            10 April 2023

Haven't seen anything on numbers matching with the pea soup green Challenger. This in itself indicates to us this is a "built hotrod" (if that's the correct term) that's for sale for more than it's worth. In reality, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. We wouldn't touch it at $50K.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mytur Binsdirti

The Black Ghost - The Greatest Scam In Collector Car History!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LjOvcnBFU

hemi-hampton

Who's Uncle Tony? Who puts 145,000 miles on any Hemi car? :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 20, 2023, 05:31:59 PMThe Black Ghost - The Greatest Scam In Collector Car History!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LjOvcnBFU
can't wait for the movie. Lol.  The greatest scam ever.

1970Moparmann

A "Story teller in real life".   Wow, total scam!   The scam provided $600 to 700k!

Pinballjim

After watching the video, I must admit, the guy makes a compelling argument.  As cool as a Hemi Challenger is, in stock form, it's a high 13/low 14 second car.  That's not exactly a legendary number for street racing.   

I've heard rumors of high end cars at these auctions being false bid to stupid numbers. The auction companies will welcome a high end car and even promote it.  To attract the car owners, the companies may even waive the auction fees.  Think about it.  Two guys with with (let's just say for the sake of the argument, a Boss 429 Mustang) bid another Boss'9 (who's owner they know - they're all friends) to some crazy number.  In reality, neither bidder buys the car, the owner keeps his car and on "record" a Boss '9 sells for a record price (which raises the values for everyone involved).  If ANY of this has ANY truth to it, it's a very good reason to buy quietly and privately. 

It's sad if that's what all of this has become.  I hope it's all untrue but given the way people are these days, if there's a buck to be made, SOMEONE will take advantage of it.