News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intake/Exhaust Valve Reference

Started by taxspeaker, April 04, 2023, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

I apologize if this is too basic, but my forgetfulness is starting to make me want better reference in the shop, particularly for myself but more importantly for the younger guys. Could you guys look at this reference chart I am going to laminate and post on the tool box and tell me if you see a mistake or needed improvement. The Black Ice Superbird has roller hydraulic lifters that have not been adjusted in unknown years, and I am going to adjust them next week and I want to get them right.
Thanks
Bob

metallicareload99

Looks good to me, the chart/sticker on the bottom is what I use :drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Q5XX29

That is one way to do it, but I more often just go by this rule (easy to remember):

For any given cylinder, set the intake valve when the exhaust valve starts to open, and set the exhaust valve when the intake valve is almost closed.
dakota_gt on Instagram

A13

The rotor will point to #1 one on every 2nd rotation of the crank, but it will only be on compression stroke every other time.  2 turns of the crank for one turn of the camshaft.

The 4 strokes of the piston are.
Intake
Compression
Power
Exhaust

So the compression stroke is piston coming up with both valves closed, when it reaches the top that is TDC.  The other time the piston is coming up the exhaust valve is open.  You will have no compression in #1 and when the piston is at the top the rotor will point to #6.  If you make it point to #1 it will be 180 degrees off.

Mopar John

Bob,
 With my race car I tried using that chart and it's too easy to make a mistake!
Plus you are running back and forth side to side with your tools.
I use a procedure similar to Q5XX29.
I take off the drivers side valve cover and start with the front rocker.
Then I work my way back one at a time till that side is done.
Put the valve cover on and go around to the other side and repeat.
MJ

taxspeaker