News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First start after years of sitting

Started by Dino, April 10, 2023, 08:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Pretty soon I will be firing up the engine, after it sat for 8 years.
In 2015 Jeff, a member here, and I put a new cam and lifters in the engine. Crower hdp with Johnson lifters. Everything was well lubricated but after all these years I'm not sure how much is still on there. The lifters were all primed so I plan on taking them back out to check them, relube, and lube the cam as best I can while it's installed. I am going to get an oil pressure test gauge to hook up so I can see what it's doing while I prime the engine.
I'll be removing the plugs so the engine can be turned over easier. Not sure how I'm getting access to it with everything installed but I'll figure it out. Does the engine need to be turned while priming? Or can I prime, stop and turn the engine, and prime some more? I may need a helper. Turning the engine is to make sure oil gets everywhere and the lifters spin right?
Once I have it fired up and the cam has been broken in, I drain the oil and refill with the same break in oil and then drive it a few hundred miles right? That Driven stuff good enough, or Lucas? Other suggestions?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino