News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

44' gooseneck to store 2 Chargers?

Started by GordonGriggs, April 25, 2023, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGriggs

I need to store 2 chargers. 1 is a 66 Charger, 2 is a 69 Charger. Due to zoning, and septic system I can NOT build more garage space. I was thinking about buying a 44' gooseneck trailer to store my Chargers. I have plenty of room for the trailer.
  The house I have now has a 24x24 two car garage but I have my other chargers in it. No way I am
going to put them in a storage unit.
  I was looking at buying another house and build a 4 car garage but the prices and just too high.
 Any advice?

Thanks

Gordon

70 sublime

A 40 ' shipping container might be cheaper
Would sit on the ground so easier to move them into without a ramp
Not very wide inside but the car should fit if it is something you are not moving in and out all the time
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

GordonGriggs

Thanks for the suggestion. The county would require a building permit for a storage container and due to zoning, and septic system I can't get a building permit.

I have plenty of room beside my garage to park a trailer. Zoning will NOT allow me to put any kind
 of permanent structure beside my garage. 

RiverRaider

Instead of a 44' long trailer I would look for a stacker car trailer they run about 22-36ft @ 20k to 40k for older used nice ones.  The you get storage and a lift to work on cars.  Or have you considered an outdoor car capsule?  I have an indoor one for my Charger that I am very pleased with.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

GordonGriggs

Thanks for the replies. The county will NOT allow me to build anything else on my property large enough to hold a car.All the usable space has been used. If I stay at current location my ONLY option is to get a trailer. The stackable trailer is a good suggestion. But I don't need a lift. Also, I want a regular trailer that will be more wind reistant in case of storms.

b5blue

With all the taxes in VA. I can see why.

RiverRaider

Is your garage on a slab or over a basement where an underground lift could be installed?  That might work unless your water table is high.

GordonGriggs

Thanks for the suggestion. My garage has a living area above it. I think that digging the hole for
the lift might weaken the ground too much. Also, we have a well and the water is usually about 14 feet down.
So I think the water table might be a little too high.

I guess I worded my question wrong. What I wanted to know is. Does anyone here use a 2 car enclosed trailer for
car storage. IF so, are there any problems with it?

Thanks

Godon

Pinballjim

Storing a car in a trailer probably isn't the best solution to your problem.  It's OK for short term storage but not for the long term.  I see you're in the Va. area.  If you get snow, moisture can and will get in the trailer.  Also, if there are any trees nearby, they could pose a fall risk.  Unless you specifically have a rider on your home owners policy (that includes the trailer), you may not be covered.   If your car insurance company finds out you're keeping the cars in a trailer, they will have an issue with it too.  I'm not trying to be a buzzkill.  Just trying to point out some potential issues. How about approaching your township and applying for a variance.  It'll cost you a few bucks but it's the right way to do it and if something happens, your insurance coverage SHOULD make good for it. 

I stored a Corvette in my car trailer over the winter a few years ago.  It worked out OK for 4 months but I don't think I'd want to keep it in there much more than that. 

Best of luck with whatever you decide.  There's no easy solution to storage problems!! 

RiverRaider

Quote from: GordonGriggs on May 05, 2023, 05:01:35 PMThanks for the suggestion. My garage has a living area above it. I think that digging the hole for
the lift might weaken the ground too much. Also, we have a well and the water is usually about 14 feet down.
So I think the water table might be a little too high.

I guess I worded my question wrong. What I wanted to know is. Does anyone here use a 2 car enclosed trailer for
car storage. IF so, are there any problems with it?

Thanks

Godon
Keeping things dry and keeping critters out are the most important along with checking on things monthly.  I know swap vendors that have larger enclosed trailers that have dehumidifiers in them to keep parts in cardboard boxes from getting damp when parked between shows.  We blocked the axles up off season to raise the tires off the ground.  Raised up makes it easier to mow the grass around the trailer and the extra air flow keeps the bottom of the trailer dry.  I also leave trailer nose up for water runoff.  Most of my experience is stock car storage and dampness was always the issue.  And it can be like an oven inside during summer.

b5blue

I think if you just add some solar powered venting fans to the trailer you'd be good to go.  :2thumbs: