News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Welding on new quarter skins without removing vinyl top?

Started by timmycharger, April 28, 2023, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Its been about 6 or 7 years since  having my Charger painted however I am very seriously considering re doing the rear quarters as I was never really satisfied with how they came out.  I bought my quarters in 2001 or 2002 which were skins from Goodmark I believe, before AMD had anything.  I also bought a rear crossmember from another vendor that I cant remember but now looking at what AMD and others have, that was probably the root of my issues as I based everything off of that. You can see the wonky shape in the pics below. 

As you can see in the pics below, the outside corners of the crossmember have a sort of a step. The off brand one I got over 20 years ago was straight across, I think that caused the corners to not sit correctly which ended up changing the geometry of the corners and the quarters.  Compounded with the poor quality skins, I had to smooth over the seams in the corners and the shape just never looked right to me. 

I know this is a crap ton of work but I don't mind. My sons are older now and can help me with the work, I am just trying to not take too much apart if I don't need to. Is there a way to protect the top? I was thinking of obviously removing the trim, buying welding blankets and carefully covering everything up.  This time around I will be welding on top of the quarter as I did it below the first time around. I saw a few members do it this way so I know its possible.

I don't mind having to strip the bumpers and trim anyway as I plan to have the car repainted in the correct shade of B7 as the painter used a different brand than what I used in the jams, trunk and engine bay anyway so I want it all to match.

Of course my wife and friends think I am insane but it is what it is.

68crossxx.jpg
rearcrosswrong.jpg
rearcrosswrong2.jpg 
newwheelz56.jpg
roughtquarter.JPG
roughtquartercorner.jpg 

hemi-hampton

If you buy a AMD Quarter why not buy the whole quarter & not a Skin. And go up to where the factory did it, under the Vinyl top. :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

timmycharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 29, 2023, 01:07:04 PMIf you buy a AMD Quarter why not buy the whole quarter & not a Skin. And go up to where the factory did it, under the Vinyl top. :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Yea that would be the best scenario and should have done that from the start when the car was a shell but I am trying to avoid messing with the vinyl top as it will open up an even larger can of worms including messing with the glass, headliner and all the other weld points for a full quarter.  I was planning on looking for a full quarter to use as a skin in case I need more area on top of the quarter near the filler cap.