News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Smog engine

Started by C500, May 01, 2023, 11:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hey guys.... not a Charger, but still a 440... This '77 Monaco has it's original 440, a slow smogger. Original CHP Pursuit car, low compression, true mileage unknown.

Any advice on recommended work to wake it up a bit? Not going down a full rebuild route, but would be nice to get 350 HP out of it. Want to keep the cast iron heads, factory intake and exhaust manifolds on, for the stock appearance. Original Thermoquad, rebuilt.

Unable to check right now, but likely has 906 heads. I have a Crower HDP 271 cam already (lift 0.496), have another set of 906 heads too, but they're only around 82cc with new valves fitted.

Any advice on work / parts, adding to the list:
New pistons, new valve springs and retainers. JE / SRP Forged aluminium, 2.062" flat top (this is what I put in my 69 Charger)
New cam as above

What other recommendations...

Any advice welcome, thanks.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

metallicareload99

Cam sounds good to me and from what I understand the later 440 intakes are pretty decent for what they were. The exhaust manifolds and specifically which ones might hurt the most? Conventional wisdom says these engines need all the compression you can make, but with iron heads it's kinda like tickling the dragon's tail :shruggy:

10 years of about 9:1 compression on iron heads followed by a summer of around 9.9:1 compression with aluminum heads resulted in my engine needing to be rebuilt. At least two of the pistons came out in multiple pieces :slap: I estimate you'll be near 10:1 with those pistons and heads, hopefully you can get good gasoline and the tune is good  :Twocents: 
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

Good start here: https://hughesengines.com/products/440-whiplash-basic-cam-kit-hug-smc3245bl-k  Best to call and talk to them before starting to spend money.  :Twocents:

C500

Update on this proposed 440 build.

After a simple rebuild here, on a budget, and only replacing parts to make it perform properly and last, not going over the top with any lightweight or high performance parts. Enough to get 350+ hp out of it. Engine will get a 30 thou re-bore. Using the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds too.

Intake is an Edelbrock Torker, and the 906 open chamber heads will be used with new comp cams springs, new Stainless steel valves (already in) - some previous owner has milled these heads down to 82cc's. Cam is the Crower HDP 271 hydraulic flat tappet cam 0.486/0.496, rebuilt Thermoquad 800. New Johnson Hylift lifters, new rings and bearings, new timing set, crank polished, new harmonic damper.

Considering piston selection and recommendations on either of these 2:

The speed pro L-2355F 30's have good compression height at 2.061", and are a similar weight to the factory pistons, OR
SRP 213455's have a nice forged flat top piston with 2.062" compression height

I'll be using the original rockers. Will these milled heads likely cause problems with incorrect valve train geometry and lifter pre-load? Would shorter pushrods be required here?

Any other advice or comments on this build... suggestions or other upgrades recommended that will make a noticeable difference in performance and without spending thousands?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

metallicareload99

Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the SRP pistons (I'm using the SpeedPro  :'() Thinner rings, slightly higher compression height, and 1 cc smaller valve reliefs. But twice the price, and either will "work"  :shruggy:

Easy for me to spend your money, but if I was gonna do it over again with stock stroke I'd use Mahle 929962750T
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth