News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque Converter / Stall converter

Started by C500, August 17, 2023, 07:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hi all,
After some recommendations and info. Firstly, what is the stall speed on a torque converter for a '69 factory 440/727?

And advice on upgrading to a stall converter, whether it's going to make much difference, and suggested RPM? Based on specs below. Want something streetable, not doing any drag racing etc.

Car doesn't seem to have as much torque as it should, isn't very quick off the line.

Engine: 10.2 compression ratio, Crower 32242 mild street cam operating range 1800-4500rpm, aluminium Stealth heads and intake, cast iron exhaust manifolds, Edelbrock 800 AVS2, forged pistons.
Around 450-500 HP and 3.23 gears in the rear.
Tire's are 245/60/15's.

https://crower.com/camshafts/mopar-dodge-chrysler/350-361-383-400-413-426-440-b/mopar-hydraulic-flat-tappet-camshaft-6.html

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

b5blue

Mopar 145K convertor 18-22 stall I believe. What I use for my 440.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: C500 on August 17, 2023, 07:06:38 PMHi all,
After some recommendations and info. Firstly, what is the stall speed on a torque converter for a '69 factory 440/727.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Nice, John. Thanks. I'm saving that one to the files.

:2thumbs:

cdr

You need to have a custom one built for YOUR car, a 2500rpm converter will stall at a different rpm on different car set ups, gear ratio, weight of car, amount of torque the engine makes & at what rpm .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

I had an 11" converter built by Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts.
I used it in the red car from 2014-2021. I pulled it when I swapped to a Tremec 5 speed.
That same converter is now in my other car. It was in a 440/493 and now is in a 383. I have no idea what it stalls at but it felt right in both cars with different camshafts and 100 cubic inches between them.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: cdr on August 19, 2023, 11:42:05 AMYou need to have a custom one built for YOUR car, a 2500rpm converter will stall at a different rpm on different car set ups, gear ratio, weight of car, amount of torque the engine makes & at what rpm .

In the chart I posted, the 225, 340-4 and 383-4 use the EXACT SAME converter...although it's often called a 2500 RPM converter you'll notice 1000 RPM difference in stall speed. This is factory P/N 2801764 and is an often overlooked alternative to aftermarket converters. That said, 727 10 3/4" converter cores are getting hard to come by so may be hard to find a stock rebuilds.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

The 145K I mentioned was picked from Larry Shepard's 6BBL book. With all the torque a stockish 440 has I think stall is overestimated. I say the 19-2100 is ideal. (From my actual experience and complements from others in the know.)

C500

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on August 20, 2023, 04:49:46 PMThe 145K I mentioned was picked from Larry Shepard's 6BBL book.

That friggin guy....
There have been a LOT of BS guidelines from that guy. I swear he seemed to either bonk his head before writing tech stuff or allowed his name to be used by "Ghost writers" for books.
He was known for perpetuating the "Thin wall 440" lie. Anyone that has sonic checked a 1976 and later 440 has figured out that thin wall was bullshit.
I bought a book about 3G Hemi engines. I can't recall specifics but there were a few tidbits in that book that made me shake my head too.
He isn't a complete idiot but he has made some stupid and erroneous comments in print and has not retracted or corrected himself about any of it.

b5blue

From actual experience over 15 years, I can say he was spot on for my 440 6BBL and 727.   :nana: