News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI and MSD:

Started by Captain D, July 29, 2023, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

On my 69' Charger (383), I have the EFI, electronic ignition, FireCore low resistance ignition wires, and the Mopar Performance distributor from Mancini Racing set-up.

And, the shop just installed a 6al MSD box. However, is there anything else that I should be aware of to suggest to them, such as needing specifically a MSD distributor & MSD wire kit? I've heard that what I have is compatible / good to go, but just curious if there may be anything else that I should be aware of, just out of curiosity. For instance, for those who do have this set-up, would it be ideal to also install the 1970 style voltage regulator (dual-field alternator, say, a 75 amp with the pigtail connection)? Or not necessary? Currently, mine is simply a 60 amp single-field alternator.

As a side note, my 383 seems to be getting better readings with the VR1 oil vs. the PennGrade1 (formerly the Brad Penn).

Thank you for your time and input. 

metallicareload99

Should be fine, I had no problems using an MSD box with parts store distributor and wires with EFI.

I would definitely use the isolated field alternator and electronic voltage regulator
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Captain D

Thank you for the reply and info. I hear that the car is running strong. Hopefully, after enough test runs, we'll have it back soon.  :cheers:

Captain D

Just to follow up on this thread, can the electronic voltage regulator (the 1970 Charger style with 'pigtail' connection) be used with a single-field alternator or must it be a dual-field alternator with that style VR?

Thanks again for any and all replies...