News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cooler and fluid for steering/hydroboost

Started by Dino, May 06, 2023, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have a new hydroboost unit and stock steering box and pump. I have never had a hydroboost before. Do I need a cooler? Is any power steering fluid ok to use? I'm assuming a gallon will do to flush out what's left in the old system and top it off?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

Cooler not needed. Any good quality power steering fluid will work just fine

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

Quote from: A383Wing on May 06, 2023, 11:12:43 PMCooler not needed. Any good quality power steering fluid will work just fine
FALSE.
You are now asking the power steering pump to do double duty. Why run the risk of failure when doing so means no steering and no BRAKES ?
I've run P/S coolers on cars just for the steering because cranking the wheel back and forth during aggressive driving causes heat. Police cars came with coolers, trucks too. They get installed in the return line and can be mounted anywhere that gets air flow. Rock Auto had ones like these for under $20. They are OEM for Chrysler minivans.
I pulled three from the junkyard. Send me a PM, I'll send you one for the cost of shipping.

A383Wing

worked on many original cars that had hydro boost from the factory, they never had a cooler....never had a problem either....maybe you are doing it wrong...

Kern Dog

No, Dude, I am not doing it wrong. It sucks to be called out on an open forum for giving bad advice but this time you are on the losing side.
Adding a cooler costs little yet increases life of the fluid and ensures it will work under extreme conditions.

A383Wing

Dude, so you are saying that all the manufacturers that don't run coolers from the factory on all the cars and trucks are doing it wrong?

You are the one giving bad and wrong advice. Maybe you should contact all the car and truck manufacturers and explain to them your thinking and provide your credentials. Just because you put a cooler on your vehicle when it's not needed, doesn't mean it's required for everyone else to do it as well. Sucks to be you doesn't it because you are wrong 😂

Kern Dog

"Bad and wrong advice".
You are reaching. There is nothing BAD about advising one to use something that provides a benefit. There is nothing wrong about it either. It may or may not be necessary for the OP but it isn't going to cost a lot or result in any damage. Trucks, vans, police and fleet cars use power steering coolers. Hell....I pulled several from Minivans. Using your bullshit logic,
"Maybe you should contact all the car and truck manufacturers and explain to them your thinking and provide your credentials..."
You lost this one. Continuing to defend a losing argument will further damage your credibility.

Calif240

I have a brand new hydroboost from Hydratech. Works awesome. Didn't come with a cooler or say to install one. Have had zero issues. Whether you need one for your application, I'll leave to you. I'm sure there are pro's to adding one.
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.