News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

7.2 440 - Thermostat

Started by mopar0166, May 19, 2023, 09:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

Hey Everyone, its been a long couple of years.  My charger is getting back on the road after a 3 year nap due to cancer, divorce etc. 

When I last parked it, the engine was overheating on the return trip from Carlisle, PA July 2019. 

I have gone through the whole cooling system, but while I have it apart I wanted to replace the pump and Thermostat.   I did see many recommend the MILODON products, the thermostats look to be unavailable every where.   What are people using as a replacement, I know the Mr. gasket ones are crap as i had one fall apart on a trip. 

Looking for recommendations.   Thanks everyone.   :shruggy:  :brickwall:

mopar0166

After a little more investigation, it looks like I was running a high flow thermostat similar to one you showed.  Only difference is that it was a 160 degree.  I just going to have to experiment with the two thermostats I have and may drill a hole in one. 

Other wise I have flushed the whole cooling system, checked hoses, replaced the PRW water pump with the Milodon high volume pump, Checked the two pull fans for proper operation, checked the fan sensor for operation, checked temp gauge sender, and will do the tuning once its all back together.   

If their is any other tips out there please let me know, and yes I've read the past posts many times to make sure everything is covered. 

b5blue

Yea I'm in FL. but run 180*. Reason is that's the 440's operating temp. so proper. The bleed hole is to allow air bubble escape. I use a stock fan/shroud on a brass rad. with an electric wave fan pushing in front of my A/C condenser.(On a thermal switch.) Keep at it till it's fixed!  :2thumbs: 

70 sublime

Do you have the spring in the lower rad hose so it will not collapse when it gets hot ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mopar0166

Yes the lower hose has a spring.  the hose and spring look in good condition.