News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best T bars for 2 inch lowering?

Started by hudak69rt, May 19, 2023, 11:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudak69rt

Hi what's up everyone gonna start a thread on my build car is like technically half done but these cars never really are. I'm soon to be 28 next month and learned a lot from owning this car for about 8 years. I'm questioning on what's the best torsion bars for lowering and for a pro touring/street build. I have the RMS street lynx for back ! I'm coming across pat 1.03 bars and hotchkis 1.1 bars being what I need any much of difference?

b5blue

I think you can get low spindles also.  :scratchchin:

70 sublime

You can lower the front end just by letting the bars you have down a little by turning the bolt the is in the middle of the lower control arm
Turn the bolt one way and it will twist the bars up or the other way will un twist and let it ride lower
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hudak69rt

Quote from: b5blue on May 19, 2023, 09:42:41 PMI think you can get low spindles also.  :scratchchin:
yea discovered their a waste and you guys can't tell it's already lowered?

Mike DC

First of all, define 2" lowered. The OEM front end height is higher than most people think.  Most classic Mopars today are sitting at least somewhat lower than stock in the front. 

The stock T-bars were a notch too soft for most purposes besides drag racing.  Even some of Chrysler's later recommendations say that.

But how far to take the stiffening?  Debatable.  Personal opinion. 

When it comes to chassis tuning (springs, sways, torsion bars, bushings, etc) I find there is no such thing as a part that everybody agrees is too stiff.  There are only parts that everybody agrees are too soft.  If you could buy torsion bars or leaf springs made of solid granite with zero flext at all, there would be at least a few guys saying "I run those on my street car and they feel fine." 

66-72 B-body Torsion bars . . .  the 1.00" size has a lot of fans these days. 

Bear in mind how the stiffness of a torsion bar scales up as it gets bigger.  A 1.19" bar is double the stiffness of a 1.00" bar.   

hudak69rt

Quote from: Mike DC on May 21, 2023, 06:31:08 PMFirst of all, define 2" lowered. The OEM front end height is higher than most people think.  Most classic Mopars today are sitting at least somewhat lower than stock in the front. 

The stock T-bars were a notch too soft for most purposes besides drag racing.  Even some of Chrysler's later recommendations say that.

But how far to take the stiffening?  Debatable.  Personal opinion. 

When it comes to chassis tuning (springs, sways, torsion bars, bushings, etc) I find there is no such thing as a part that everybody agrees is too stiff.  There are only parts that everybody agrees are too soft.  If you could buy torsion bars or leaf springs made of solid granite with zero flext at all, there would be at least a few guys saying "I run those on my street car and they feel fine." 

66-72 B-body Torsion bars . . .  the 1.00" size has a lot of fans these days. 

Bear in mind how the stiffness of a torsion bar scales up as it gets bigger.  A 1.19" bar is double the stiffness of a 1.00" bar.   

yea so 1.03 and 1.1 is a little difference is stiffness the stock 318 bars are still in there but it's about 24 inches from center of fender to to ground rn

Mike DC

Best way to compare suspension lowering.  Where is the center point of the wheel on the unibody? 

Trying to measure heights of tires and body panels to the ground . . . too much uncertainty.  A few pounds of air pressure difference in a tire or a wiggle in the pavement can get you all mixed up.   

BTW the true factory stock front suspension height is higher than in this pic. 

b5blue

It's in the FSM, measured at the LCA's inboard pivot as compared to ball joint. It is just that a 2" drop puts the geometry into rebound range. (Kinda wonky.)  :scratchchin:   

hudak69rt

Quote from: Mike DC on May 27, 2023, 03:03:57 PMBest way to compare suspension lowering.  Where is the center point of the wheel on the unibody? 

Trying to measure heights of tires and body panels to the ground . . . too much uncertainty.  A few pounds of air pressure difference in a tire or a wiggle in the pavement can get you all mixed up.   

BTW the true factory stock front suspension height is higher than in this pic. 

Yea looks to lower than stock but good point to measure middle of wheel like that!