News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Preferred clutch brand

Started by 69wannabe, May 24, 2023, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Anyone got a preferred clutch kit brand that they recommend.  I have used a ram brand for years and last year the pressure plate just gave out. My pedal went almost to the floor like something in my linkage gave out. It lasted a good 10 years so I ordered another ram power grip kit to go back in it. Had the flywheel surfaced and got it back going and this clutch was very rough upon release. I left it in there almost a year but I just couldn't put up with the chatter and it just wasn't smooth. Pulled it back down recently and put a McCloud clutch kit in it. Super street kit, It's a diaphragm style pressure plate and is alot less pedal effort and seems to hold pretty good so far. Alot smoother than what I had in it too. It seems weak as far as how easy the pedal is to depress and it's taking awhile to get used to but it seems to work good.I have always been a die hard borg and beck style clutch guy but I'm almost sold on this kit I got in there now.

70sixpkrt

If you have an old Mcleod Borg and Beck pressure plate, send it to Mcleod for rebuild. I like the old B and B pressure plates instead of the diaphragm ones. I sent my old pressure plate to Mcleod and they rebuilt it. It's been in the car for the last 5 years and no problem. You can call Brewers Perf or Passon Perf and talk to them about clutches.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

69wannabe

The clutch kit I had in it was a ram power grip. The first one was in there for 10 years and was a good one. It finally failed so I bought that same part number from ram but it was just so rough trying to take off I couldn't tolerate it.  The McCloud that is in it now works well and is easy on the pedal pressure. I do like being able to drive it in town now with the light pedal pressure.  It seems to hold well too so I am going to see how long this one holds up.