News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Issue with new power steering box

Started by Marck, April 24, 2023, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

Hi,

I just swapped out my old steering box for a new one, and I am having some issues.
When the wheels are straight, there seems to be a small bind in the steering wheel movement. Not a lot, but you notice it.
When I steer to the right, the wheels keep turning on their own untill full lock. I can drive it, it's not like it can't be controlled, but I can't let go of the wheel. It does it both to the right and left, but not as much to the left.
I read online the it might need calibration/adjusting, but not where or how to do it.
I see what appears to be some form of adjustment screw on top of the steering box, but would like input on what to expect, so I don't risk making it worse.

68 Charger if that matters..

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1968/dodge/charger/power_steering_gear_box/82-00004_an

Thanks  :cheers:

John_Kunkel

You need to center the valve on the top of the steering box. The adjustment is done with the front wheels clear of the ground, slightly loosen the two bolts that hold the valve to the box then, with the engine running, tap the valve toward the firewall or the opposite direction until the wheels will remain centered straight ahead and not self-steer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Marck

Thanks for your reply.
I just shot theese two pictures, this is from the top of the steering box.
Is some of this supposed to slide?
I really don't see how..

I added link to the part in my original post.
thumbnail_IMG_8133.jpg

70 sublime

Hmmm your replacement box does not look like a total match for a factory box
It might fit in the same place but the advice to adjust it was for an original set up so not sure how to center the pressure for your new box to keep the wheels from turning on threir own
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

You must contact the supplier.  :shruggy:

Marck

Quote from: b5blue on April 25, 2023, 06:20:19 AMYou must contact the supplier.  :shruggy:

Allready did.

Got this a few hours ago, from a super nice and helpfull guy.
I'll get it tested in a couple of days.

" Hello Marck,
If your steering doesn't cause the issues turning by itself with the front end off the ground and only with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, you could have a binding issue either where the column comes through the fire wall or at your connection from the coupler to the steering gear.
https://www.larescorp.com/toolbox/tech-tips/11031-11033-11043-steering-gears/
I would investigate this first.
What your issues sound like is that with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, the steering gear is "Catching" from possibly a binding issue and then the pressure builds up and the steering will spin in one direction or the other by itself, depending upon which way you start your turn.
Usually if you do have a binding issue it needs to be corrected by adjusting the steering column to release the weight of the vehicle causing the binding.

If this doesn't solve your problem, I would recommend warrantying the steering gear for a replacement as adjusting it would void the warranty."

b5blue

Sounds like you must send it back.  :shruggy:

Kern Dog

Who makes this steering unit and where did you get it?

Marck

On the invoice it's listed as a buyautoparts unit, but it seems to be identical with a brand called Lares. On Lares website, they list buyautoparts as a seller of Lares products, so I reached out to Lares, they are the ones who replied. I also tried to contact buyautoparts, but haven't heard from them. Not sure if I ever will.

70 sublime

What was wrong with your original steering box ??

Marck

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 25, 2023, 11:38:38 PMWhat was wrong with your original steering box ??

It's leaking from pretty much every where possible. Talked to my mechanic, who suggested a new unit, partly because I wanted it done quickly.. :brickwall:

Seemed like a good idea at the time..

70 sublime

Maybe at this point you have your old steering box out just get some new seals to fix the leaks and put it back in ??

Kern Dog

I've read that Lares was selling new steering boxes. For years, they offered rebuilt originals but the story was that those were simply taken apart, cleaned and reassembled with new gaskets and seals. No hard parts were changed or upgraded. They were a lot cheaper than the performance rebuilds from Firm Feel and Steer and Gear.
The problem that you're describing is usually an easy fix on an original steering unit. With this unit, you may need to contact Lares directly since their unit seems quite different.
Good luck.

Canadian1968

not sure if this was ever fixed.?

But the picture you posted is of the sector shaft, adjustment. Not the valve, that other members are talking about.