News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 B Body Radiator. 2898062

Started by ELC426, June 30, 2023, 01:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELC426

I have a 68 charger with a factory big block. The radiator number is 2898062. I have a 1968 dealer catalog and I cannot find this number. On some other forums this number comes up as a C body 22" but is clearly 26". Any clues would be appreciated.

Mopar Nut

Post some pictures of the radiator with the numbers. Looking at this website, that's what comes up to. http://www.mopar1.us/radiator.txtIMG_5086.jpeg
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ELC426

Yes, that's all the information I can find and says it's a 22" rad. But my one is clearly a 26" rad on an R\T car. The 68 parts book I have under the heading "cores" lists a 061 and 063 but not 062. 

ELC426

Quote from: ELC426 on June 30, 2023, 01:01:51 AMI have a 68 charger with a factory big block. The radiator number is 2898062. I have a 1968 dealer catalog and I cannot find this number. On some other forums this number comes up as a C body 22" but is clearly 26". Any clues would be appreciated.
Quote from: ELC426 on June 30, 2023, 01:01:51 AMI have a 68 charger with a factory big block. The radiator number is 2898062. I have a 1968 dealer catalog and I cannot find this number. On some other forums this number comes up as a C body 22" but is clearly 26". Any clues would be appreciated.

image0.jpeg

Wingnut426

Kinda looks like someone soldered the # tag to the radiator. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

ELC426

Yes agree, it does look like (maybe) something was soldered on top of this 062 number, but 062 number is 100% stamped in the radiator originally.

hemigeno

My guess is that the top tank was mis-stamped with the 062 number and a small tag with the "correct" number stamped on it was soldered over the top.  Somewhere along the lines the radiator may have been hot-dipped and the tag fell off, or it simply fell off on its own - leaving the tell-tale solder remains we see now.

No one could say for sure what happened at this point.

I'm pretty confident I have seen radiators in salvage yards with small tags soldered like that before.  Bob at Glen-Ray could probably confirm?

ELC426

With a bit of scraping, you can see the silver solder verses the brass upper body. So looks like it was a re-assigned rad. Amazing, thanks for your feedback guys.

Alaskan_TA

The 'white book' is wrong on this one - 2898062 - I had one, it was a 26" inch also. Sold it to a guy that said it was correct for his '68 4-speed Road Runner.

As far as soldered on tags go, VERY COMMON. If it met or exceeded the specifications, the radiator vendor could & would change the part number before sending the order to Chrysler. More about this situation in the article at https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/TARadiatorNews.shtml