News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger Question

Started by xx29440charger, June 08, 2023, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

I have a 70 Charger 383 all stock with the exception of the four barrel carb
I wanted to see what would be a great dependable coil and electronic disttributor I can run and where to purchase
I have a distributor with points and I wanted to switch over
Thanks

LaOtto70Charger

I tried a pertonix. It worked pretty good overall.  Actually didn't notice any difference compares to my points distributor so went back to it.

b5blue

Keep just what the factory gave you.

hemi-hampton

My Pertronix worked great, with the high output coil & bigger gaped plugs seem to run much better. LEON.

Kern Dog

I have a points distributor in a 67 Dart. I put the car together 18 years ago and while I don't drive it much, it still runs great when I do drive it.
Having said that, I still converted my other cars to electronic. A Mopar style factory electronic ignition system is as reliable as it gets.
Keep in mind, unless you're using a turbo, nitrous or a supercharger, there is NO power in ignition if your current setup is working properly. Electronic systems do have less maintenance to them and will result in the spark plugs staying clean longer.
There are numerous vendors that sell their own versions of the Mopar electronic ignition. Summit has their house brand for a good price. Rick Ehrenberg sells his stuff on ebay. I just bought one of his kits.

b5blue

I agree Pertronix is okay if you want to leave the stone age but having grown up with points I like them.  :lol:

metallicareload99

It's hard to overestimate the importance of the ignition system in a spark ignited engine, but IF it's working fine, you probably won't get much more by "upgrading." I would go with either of these if I were in your shoes:

https://www.manciniracing.com/ma361383400e3.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-851004-1/m

Although you could certainly piece together your own ignition "kit" for cheaper.....  :Twocents:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on June 09, 2023, 08:50:21 AMI agree Pertronix is okay if you want to leave the stone age but having grown up with points I like them.  :lol:

Mine still looked like original stone age. The Pertronix fit under original stone age cap in original stone age Distributor. All black high output coil looked stock stone age. Still had stock dual snorkel air cleaner but my high lift Cam gave it away as not stock. What I liked about the Pertronix was no cutting & splicing of wires, ect., ect. LEON.

b5blue

I have saved a backup Pertronix dizzy after the nightmare parade of failures I've been through. Whatever happens SAVE the original no matter what.

chargermick

I installed the Mopar Performance dist. in my '69 Charger 18 years ago. I haven't touched the ignition system yet.  Always has fired right up. Hope this helps.

purple70rt

I run a unilite, no need to mess with grounding issues with the ecu box