News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spring load for cam break in

Started by Dino, June 09, 2023, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I am getting ready to fire up the engine with the new cam, and want to make sure that the springs are not too stiff for a flat tappet.

Cam is a Crower 32242, 271hdp grind.
Springs are Comp Cams 911-16. This combo was recommended by Ron so I'm assuming this will work but better safe than sorry.

Topline Johnson lifters and chromoly rods. Everything else is stock.

Screenshot_20230609_121416_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20230609_120523_Amazon Shopping.jpg 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

metallicareload99

FWIW I broke in my two hydraulic cams with the springs that were already on the head. One cam eventually went flat, the other was fine until subjected to hydraulic ROLLER spring pressure.

With single valve springs you don't have a lot of options, other than using some worn-out springs (who would even keep those around/probably not a great idea), buying some low pressure springs :confused: or come up with some lower ratio rockers? I can't imagine those springs would cause a problem with break in  :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Dino

Yeah I don't think it will be an issue. Troy did the math for me a d I think it will be fine. I was supposed to fire it up today but I ran into some issues. Hopefully tomorrow.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.