News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

slow crank when hot

Started by comet_666, June 09, 2023, 03:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Still battling this issue, car starts and runs fine but after it's been runing awhile and I shut it off..like when i'm getting gas, and then go to start it, the starter really struggles to turn over. I replaced the starter/ starter relay,and battery and also added a engine block ground and I still have the issue. I'm running fitech FI and the base timing is 14.3 checked with the timing light and dist is locked out. Not sure what else to try at this point. Any suggestions?

70 sublime

Do you have headers and they are just getting too much heat on the starter ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

comet_666

Wrapped headers and they are not touching. New starter is a week old

Back N Black

I'm having the same problem. I also wrapped my headers. I check the starter temp after a 20 min drive and the starter was 120 C.

histoy

A new mini style starter might help you.  They crank over the engine much faster than the original style starters.  Being smaller, they are also farther away from the headers.

comet_666

I have a new mini/ hi torque mini starter, have not checked temps though.

flyinlow

Try pulling and grounding the coil wire on a hot engine. If it cranks faster , it is not the starter, battery or wiring.
If it still struggles to crank you may benefit from a starter heat shield or a more heat resistant starter.

Dino

Are the battery cables in good shape? Also check wiring from the alternator.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

True, I had a positive cable that was NOT crimped proper to the battery connector. It looked perfect but gave me hell for months. Tug on the cable and look closely.