News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sound system options

Started by Dino, July 13, 2023, 10:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I need some tunes in my ride. I have the stock AM radio and center speaker in the dash, and I want to retain them for looks and function. I would like to stream music from my phone so I need some sort of Bluetooth amp and speakers. I have room for 6x9's on the rear shelf, but not much up front if I want to keep them hidden. Any thoughts on what I could use?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

LaOtto70Charger

I just use a Sony Bluetooth speaker on the floor. When charged it works pretty good for sound level. I have been looking at some marine/atv systems that would be a amp connected to 2 speakers that is Bluetooth. Thinking I would place the amp under the buddy seat and the speakers in the back.

Dino

The repro radio looks cool, but I prefer to keep the stock radio as is. The marine amps are nice. The controller could fit in the ashtray.
I really want to stream music and podcasts though, so Android Auto would be nice. A smal screen in the ashtray may work. I just need to figure out amp and speakers.

Dano 1

I recently went through this as well and here's what I decided on. I bought a cheap bluetooth receiver that lives in the glovebox since I use my phone for 99% of my music these days ((https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCLJVCC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Speaker wise I have two 5x7's in the rear package tray, one uses the stock mount and the other uses an an adapter I made to mount where the rear defrost motor would have been. Up front I made custom brackets that mount two 4" round speakers under the dash out of sight. So far I've been pretty happy with how it sounds, I may add an amp at some point and it could really use some more low-end so a sub may also be in order but otherwise it works well.

Front Speakers:

Rear Adapter:

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Dino

That's really cool! I will try to do the same.

Dano 1

Thanks, Dino! The rear speaker adapter is actually available on my website: https://www.nextgendesignsnc.com/products/p/style-03-yjt8f

If you'd be interested in the mounts I made for the front speakers shoot me a PM, I can easily run another pair for you.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Dino

Awesome! Let me check to make sure I can fit the front brackets. I have a lot of modifications on my car.

Unfortunately I can't use the rear. One of the previous owners cut up the package tray so my only option is to bolt speakers straight to flat metal.

Back N Black

I have 6X9 in the rear and I think 4 inch up front mounted inside the vent boxes. I can still open the vents enough to get air flow.

Dino

Dino

In case I want to use the center dash speaker, and I'm undecided, what would give me the best sound?

Old Moparz

Quote from: Dino on August 14, 2023, 09:28:29 AMIn case I want to use the center dash speaker, and I'm undecided, what would give me the best sound?

I've seen a pair of small speakers that replace the single one for better sound.

Not sure of the sound quality but I'd be willing to bet you can install an adaptor in the dash opening & put a much better brand in.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/rockford-fosgate-6x9-dual-dash-mount-speaker.html?utm_content=shopping&utm_campaign=aug2023-ldw-preview-ppc&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6PTz07XcgAMViSSzAB15Nwk9EAQYASABEgLSX_D_BwE
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

70 sublime

Dad had a 57 Chev and one year we got him a fancy radio that looked original but with all the up graded guts in it
It came with a dash speaker that had the double speaker set up
It worked but was not really very loud
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Old Moparz

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 14, 2023, 11:41:14 AMDad had a 57 Chev and one year we got him a fancy radio that looked original but with all the up graded guts in it
It came with a dash speaker that had the double speaker set up
It worked but was not really very loud

That's the issue I've seen & heard in person with some of the retro stereos. The Spring & Fall Carlisle swap meets usually have a few vendors with displays. They used to sound absolutely terrible but have improved quite a bit except for the power & volume.

I've always tried to install decent aftermarket equipment in my cars with separate speakers, subwoofer, an amp, EQ, crossovers & would rather listen to NOTHING than a crappy stereo or factory radio.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

b5blue

Learn and study here,   https://www.bcae1.com/   Matching impedance, wire size and other aspects can greatly effect performance. I've seen many systems with mismatched components that kinda suck.